Review of Not for all the tea in China

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Not for all the tea in China

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not for all the tea in China" by Chris Burrows.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chris Burrows brings forth a comprehensive account of his experience as he traversed through various countries. His business enabled his travel as he searched for opportunities to get new clients and expand his customer base. Chris, whose hometown is Yorkshire, managed to go to Spain, Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Germany, France, Norway, Denmark, China, and the United States of America. The author first writes his life story, including that of his parents and hometown, setting the foundation for the read and the reason for the travels.

Not for All the Tea in China first takes the reader through Ireland, clearly distinguishing between the North and South of the country. The narrations then take the reader through the good and bad of various European countries and several intriguing characters. One such character is a Russian woman living in Latvia during the Soviet rule. She enjoyed the benefits of the corrupt Soviet reign until everything fell apart, and she lost it all. There are also unpleasant experiences at the hands of some Chinese individuals, like losing $11,000 through fraud and debt. There are also heartwarming and cheeky stories, especially from France and Italy.

The book additionally had several characters that complete the story. Each has a distinct description that allows the reader to visualize and perceive their importance and attributes. The tone employed is friendly, casual, and interactive, making for an engaging and fun read. The author also includes native phrases and information on local football politics and fan base in England. The author also deliberately repeats some words and phrases, which reinforce the points he puts across.

My favorite aspect of the book is the widespread humor through comparisons and hilarious tips at the end of a chapter. For example, after arriving in America, Chris concludes that Americans love yellow paint because every bus and taxi is painted yellow. He further advises that when in China, always use the metric system to avoid any confusion. However, Chris's sentiments and opinions of certain countries like China lean on the harsh and potentially offensive side. This might be a turn-off for some readers.

I found only two minor grammatical errors, a testament to the book’s stellar and professional editing. The language used is intelligible, casual, and free of profanities or any erotic scenes. Not for All the Tea in China is a book that essentially narrates Chris’s life before he retired from his business. It is about the highs, lows, and lessons he learned while running his business. All this is in a hilarious and engaging format, making for an impressive read. The book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone looking for a light and blunt read that takes one on a journey through parts of Europe, Asia, and America.

Not for all the tea in China
View: on Bookshelves
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

This book looks fascinating. I love travel and books involving international travel and with the touch of humor you mentioned, I think I will enjoy this one. Thank you for the informative review.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Books like this are my spec because it gives you the knowledge of countries cultures, people and their environment. Just imagine knowing the north and south Ireland. The good and bad of European countries etc. Thank you for the review!
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I Love traveling and adventures and also love reading about them because you can visit a place without actually being there. The title of this book is also an interview one. Thanks for the detailed review.
yonakurochi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yonakurochi »

This book looks fascinating. I profoundly relish traveling and books involving traveling with humour added in. The book looks inordinately fascinating and something that would keep me regaled for some time. I appreciate and thank you very much for this detailed review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Seems like the author is walking on an edge, I like the idea behind but if it is as you say, I would be put off by painting a whole nation the same color and judging too harshly based on sparse evidence. Nice job with the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

His time in China made a lasting impact on his life as he even titled the book after it. He is a well-traveled man with vast experience. I'd like to read all about his experiences. Thanks for an awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”