Review of Becoming A CFI

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Becoming A CFI

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Becoming A CFI" by Radek Wyrzykowski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is not often that one gets to live their childhood dream. Having developed a love for flying from a very young age, Radek eventually gets to live out his dream of becoming a private pilot. But beyond that, he goes further to pass on his skills and experience gathered over the years to the next generation of pilots. With thousands of flying hours under his belt, this is his way of making a difference and contributing to the development of student pilots. Radek details his unique approach to teaching and the hallowed task of becoming a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI).

I enjoyed reading Becoming a CFI by Radek Wyrzykowski for the main reason that I, too, have been fascinated by the art of flying for a while. Of course, my knowledge of flying sits well below my fascination for it. The author's audience for this book constituted mainly student pilots, flying instructors, and lovers of flying (people like me). Radek's writing opened my eyes to the truth that there's more to being a flight instructor than just teaching and flying. Interspersing his personal experiences with practical flying lessons and instructions, he endeavored to drive home some basic principles and tenets of the flying profession.

The author's candor and practicality stood out for me. In any teaching profession, there are bound to be personal quirks and unique techniques or modalities peculiar to each instructor. Radek recognized this but still strived to present his points as objectively as possible. He shunned complex terminologies and jargon where possible and did his best to break down the subject matter such that it could be understood by someone without any foundational knowledge of flying. I felt like he took this approach for my sake. I was able to learn more about the subject matter than I would have ordinarily.

While Radek did his best not to use industry language, there were some sections where he couldn't help it. Sections like these slowed down my speed and comprehension. Still, I understand some things just can't be said another way, especially when they're industry-specific. While my lack of aviation knowledge showed in these sections, my love for the process of flying kept me committed to the book—and to Google. The latter helped to shorten the learning curve in my favor.

I didn't find a single negative thing to say about this short book. Overall, its layout and presentation were flawless. Radek was concise and always went straight to the point. His train of thought was easy to follow too. The book was professionally edited; I found only two instances of grammar errors while reading. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to all lovers of aviation. And by this, I mean pilots, student pilots, and flight instructors. It would also be a fun read for people who, like me, will never be pilots but love the idea of flying a plane all the same.

Becoming A CFI
View: on Bookshelves
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

It's always fulfilling to live your childhood dreams, but even more fulfilling is helping others live theirs by impacting the right kind of knowledge on them. Great review.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Flying is not really my thing because am scared of height. The book seems interesting, i think i will give it a try. Thanks for the captivating review.
Shruti Sabhahit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shruti Sabhahit »

What a fantastic review! Very concise and specific. Having been passionate about the aviation industry, this review has surely got me intrigued by the contents the book has to provide. It's wonderful that the book caters to a wider segment of the audience such as those who don't have any knowledge about this field. Kudos!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I know someone who works at the airport, so he might enjoy reading this one.
Thank you for your detailed review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I would love one of my kids to be part of the Aviation. I hope he'll find it fascinating.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

A book on flying should be an important book one should read. It gives another insight about aviation knowledge. Nice review.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Well done Radwick. I'll add this book to my shelf now. Amazing review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”