Official Review: Scandal, Heartbreak and Deceit: One Woma...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Scandal, Heartbreak and Deceit: One Woma...

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scandal, Heartbreak and Deceit: One Woman's Experience with Online Dating" by Elizabeth Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scandal, Heartbreak and Deceit: One Woman's Experience with Online Dating by Elizabeth Mahoney is more than a memoir of life's experiences. It is a cautionary tale and instruction book that introduces readers to a significant problem around the world. As the title suggests, the story is about the author's experience as a victim of scammers and how she has moved forward. Is there a way to beat the bad guys? To find out, you must read this book!

Life in the far north has its challenges, but online dating isn't one that often comes to mind. The silent victims of criminal acts committed by online dating sites and the scammers that use them aren't heard from for the most part. They face the shame of having been fooled. Sharing the experience with the world hasn't been their first choice until now. This author braves the stigma of being a victim and offers unique insights and strengths in her excellent advice and information.

The high percentage of criminal acts perpetrated against women is a rising concern globally, and this book sheds needed light on the matter. I accepted this book for review because I have seen firsthand the effects this particular problem can have on young girls and women from every walk of life. It does not happen to women exclusively. Scams can happen to men too.

Although I can never pack as much information into this review as is included in the book, I can communicate the value of how this book draws attention to a growing problem among every country on our planet. The value of human life should be perceived as a unique and protected status from birth onward.

The author shares the emails and communications she received from scammers. Seeing them printed in verbatim form gives readers a sense of the reality and type of person the world is dealing with when trying to avoid scams. This book is broken into parts that make it easy to begin reading anywhere in the book. I enjoyed the step-by-step way that the author walked the reader through the process of how it feels to be scammed. I sensed the uncertainties, fears, and emotions that were a genuine part of why this scam was possible. This writing style allowed the reader to become closer to the author's way of thinking and helped develop the characters in the conversations.

What I liked best is that I came away from this story with a deep appreciation of the strength it takes to endure having been taken advantage of in life in any way. Humans are resilient and can be forgiving, but that doesn't mean we should be gullible. This book exposes a dark world that lives and works around us every day, a world that we all need to be aware of so that we may protect ourselves from its effects. I liked the motives behind the author's determination to share her story. It was amazing to learn of certain online dating sites that use unethical practices and how they can set people up to be future victims.

I find nothing to dislike about this book. It is exceptionally edited. I found no errors. I recommend this book to anyone who is even tempted to look into online dating. Read this book before moving in that direction. The advice it contains is invaluable. The book discusses sex in explicit terms and contains discussion of erotic sexual content, as well as some borderline profanity. It is for adults only. All things considered, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal most to fans of true stories. I can't think of anyone who would not benefit from having read it. It may not appeal to readers who don’t like some explicit content.

Scandal, Heartbreak and Deceit: One Woman's Experience with Online Dating
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Online dating scams are more common these days. A memoir about the Authors experience will provide insights to this topic. Thank you for a great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s heartbreaking and disappointing when I learn of stories like these, especially when you begin to realize how prevalent they are all around us. I’m glad the author chose to share her story. Thanks for the insightful review
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

I am currently reading this book and have so many little notes about it that I am dying to discuss with someone else who has read it. I wasn't looking for spoilers - but when I came across your review, I was hardly even certain we have experienced the same book! I completely agree there is value in this book and that she brings an important message to light but I disagree with the notion that this is a memoir or that it deserves four stars.

As an aside - any theories on who her catfish might have actually been?

Also, "Life in the far north has its challenges" ?
I'm in Canada, pretty sure I'm further North than this lady. I didn't understand what you meant here.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”