Official Review: The American Citizens Handbook on Immigr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: The American Citizens Handbook on Immigr...

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The American Citizens Handbook on Immigration" by Clements E Jarboe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The American dream. That promise of a better life, improved healthcare, freedom of rights and movement, right to life, association, and speech. This dream has consistently attracted immigrants—legal and illegal—to the United States of America. The country, on its part, has made efforts to be as hospitable, welcoming, and non-discriminatory as possible under the circumstances. However, it is becoming increasingly apparent that the influx of these immigrants presents a myriad of problems. This book examines the issues arising from the immigration policies of the United States of America. It is a full-on exposé on the ramifications of these policies for the citizens in particular and the nation at large.

The American Citizens' Handbook on Immigration was an eye-opener for me. Clements E. Jarboe did his best to critically analyze the issues inherent in the influx of illegal immigrants, especially into the US. Striving to present a robust analysis of the immigration situation, he cited several research reports and publications while also giving his thoughts on the subject matter. I gleaned from this book how subtle and inconspicuous the economic, political, and socio-cultural issues surrounding immigration can be. I liked how objective Jarboe was in this book. At first, I was afraid that this might be another thinly disguised attempt to extol one political party's ideologies above the other. Thankfully, he didn't show any leanings toward either side of the political divide. He presented the facts as they were, putting the onus on me, the reader, to make my own conclusions from them. This was the best thing about this book for me because I know how hard it is for people today to have a conversation about immigration without political bias.

While I appreciated the author's willingness to present a robust analysis of American immigration, I think it was a bit overkill. The number of reports, speeches, and publications that helped buttress his points also made the book a tad boring to read. It took great discipline on my part not to skim over those sections whenever I came across them. Some other readers might not be so patient, which might affect a holistic comprehension of the subject matter. This was my only issue of concern in this book.

This was an enlightening read for me. It opened my eyes to a lot of hidden issues with immigration in the US. Some of these issues, such as the H-1B visa policy, sanctuary cities, and birthright citizenship, raise questions about morality and patriotism. While not a US citizen or immigrant myself, reading this book has helped me better understand and appreciate the unique issues troubling the country's immigration system. I have Jarboe to thank for that.

I found less than a handful of errors in this book, a nod to the fact that it was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was enlightening, presented without bias, and chock-full of data for the reader to analyze and draw conclusions. My issue with excessive data and information is subjective at best; some readers may find it unnecessary while others will love it. Consequently, I didn't consider it in my rating. I recommend this book to every American with an immigrant friend or family member and every intending immigrant to the country.

The American Citizens Handbook on Immigration
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m impressed the author didn’t show any bias towards one side or the other politically. It’s always difficult with subjects like these. Thanks for the insightful review
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for an honest review! It certainly is a wat to enter without permission. Illegal immigration, lot of shady business takes place and it can pose as a threat to security. This book will help get a good picture about immigration.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Just like the reviewer had said, the American dream has attracted so much attention and placed her as the greatest.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

This definitely seems a must-read book in order to better understand the current political and social climate in the U.S. It is indeed difficult to find honest and unprejudiced opinions on this subject, so this is a very strong point in its favor. Thanks for the detailed review!
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Wow. I found this book very helpful. As someone who hope to live in the US sometime. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”