Official Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Eugenics" by Conrad B. Quintyn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn is a non-fiction book that shows ordinary readers the current state of "eugenics" worldwide. The author discusses the most diverse sub-themes that include cloning, in vitro fertilization, genome editing, self-controlled reproduction, transhumanism, and so forth. The book provides examples of past events that have already occurred, such as cloning Dolly the sheep, and conjures up future possibilities that include the rebirth of extinct species such as the saber-toothed tiger.

The central premise is that "the new eugenics" has the potential to resurrect the "old eugenics" and stigmatize individuals mentally, racially, and physically. The problem is that humanity had seen catastrophes of biblical proportions when "well-intentioned" men tried to play God and create a perfect and just world. Conrad is a competent man who, in addition to having a Ph.D., presents his mastery over the topic in question and proposes several philosophical questions when he quotes intellectuals like Nick Bostrom, Robert Nozick, and Ronald Dworkin.

The most remarkable thing about this book is that the author used only scientific and logical arguments to criticize the "new eugenics." As much as some moral objections stem from religious values, the author wrote the book with the right approach. As much as religion is essential and I am a Christian, a scientist must make it clear to humanity the risk that these new technologies pose to society. By adopting this approach, Conrad tends to convince more people and find allies in the scientific community. That's what I liked the most.

It is hard to find anything dislikeable about this book. Even so, I can't entirely agree with everything that the author says. In general terms, I agree that one must be careful when using this technology. However, in some parts of the book, Conrad says that some technological advances may be available only to those who are too rich to pay. So what? Is it better that no one can be cured of Alzheimer's disease than just a small portion of the population? Why couldn't the American government, which has spent trillions of dollars on useless wars in the Middle East, use these resources to make this technology available for free to the population? Although I beg to differ, I understand that his reasoning line is valid, and I do not consider it a flaw.

After considering all aspects, I gladly rate The New Eugenics four out of four stars. It's addictive, insightful, and witty. After more than 400 pages, I only found some minor subjective errors. The editing was properly done. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the subject of eugenics. The reader should only be careful because the content is not easy to digest, and you must have some scientific background before you start reading this work.

The New Eugenics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

It's commendable that the author managed to remain objective. Again, he seems to know exactly what he's writing about. Good job on the review, LinaMueller!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

LinaMueller wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 07:08 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Eugenics" by Conrad B. Quintyn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn is a non-fiction book that shows ordinary readers the current state of "eugenics" worldwide. The author discusses the most diverse sub-themes that include cloning, in vitro fertilization, genome editing, self-controlled reproduction, transhumanism, and so forth. The book provides examples of past events that have already occurred, such as cloning Dolly the sheep, and conjures up future possibilities that include the rebirth of extinct species such as the saber-toothed tiger.

The central premise is that "the new eugenics" has the potential to resurrect the "old eugenics" and stigmatize individuals mentally, racially, and physically. The problem is that humanity had seen catastrophes of biblical proportions when "well-intentioned" men tried to play God and create a perfect and just world. Conrad is a competent man who, in addition to having a Ph.D., presents his mastery over the topic in question and proposes several philosophical questions when he quotes intellectuals like Nick Bostrom, Robert Nozick, and Ronald Dworkin.

The most remarkable thing about this book is that the author used only scientific and logical arguments to criticize the "new eugenics." As much as some moral objections stem from religious values, the author wrote the book with the right approach. As much as religion is essential and I am a Christian, a scientist must make it clear to humanity the risk that these new technologies pose to society. By adopting this approach, Conrad tends to convince more people and find allies in the scientific community. That's what I liked the most.

It is hard to find anything dislikeable about this book. Even so, I can't entirely agree with everything that the author says. In general terms, I agree that one must be careful when using this technology. However, in some parts of the book, Conrad says that some technological advances may be available only to those who are too rich to pay. So what? Is it better that no one can be cured of Alzheimer's disease than just a small portion of the population? Why couldn't the American government, which has spent trillions of dollars on useless wars in the Middle East, use these resources to make this technology available for free to the population? Although I beg to differ, I understand that his reasoning line is valid, and I do not consider it a flaw.

After considering all aspects, I gladly rate The New Eugenics four out of four stars. It's addictive, insightful, and witty. After more than 400 pages, I only found some minor subjective errors. The editing was properly done. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the subject of eugenics. The reader should only be careful because the content is not easy to digest, and you must have some scientific background before you start reading this work.

The New Eugenics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Well done!! I also appreciated the objectivity of the author, this made the book a good read for me as well.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm not interested in the topics this book deals with. Thank you for the informative review. It is good that the author was sitting and that storyline is addicting.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

Very interesting! It sounds like I would learn a lot by reading this book. I bet I would probably disagree with certain things, but I’d still be willing to learn more about the subject.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

This is an interesting book on genetics that I would want to read. Especially because it presents latest information on the field. Great review.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I would like to know more about in vitro fertilization and cloning. Seems like an interesting, informative book. Thanks for the review
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

intersting book congrats on botd
Aviwe Pukaneko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aviwe Pukaneko »

Exceptionally fascinating! It seems like I would get familiar with a great deal by perusing this book. I bet I would most likely differ with specific things, yet I'd in any case study the subject
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm interested in biology, but I had information overload when I read the sample. It's very detailed and intimidating for me to learn in one go. I'll save it for reference later. Like you, I am also concerned about the funds spent mostly on wars instead of healthcare. Thank you for your honest review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Priyanshi Sharma 2
Currently Reading: Tinman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanshi-sharma-2.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale

Post by Priyanshi Sharma 2 »

Eugenics is something I wanted to read and find more about. It's good to know that the author has provided scientific and logical arguments to criticize 'the new eugenics'. I am definitely going to read this one!

Appreaciate the efforts you put to write such a clear and concise review.
Wafula Jnr
Currently Reading: Unknown Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wafula-jnr.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by Wafula Jnr »

Very capturing genetic views. I have to read the whole book.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

It's praiseworthy that the author has used only scientific and logical arguments in his book, and not inundated the readers with dogmas and morality.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Last edited by Asma Aisha Ansari on 03 Aug 2021, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Nancy Smale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-smale.html
Latest Review: Private Eye, Secret Spy by Ian D. Withers
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Nancy Smale »

Not a book that would interest me the topic is off-limits to me. Therefore I'll pass
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The ethical and moral issues around genetic engineering must absolutely discussed in depth. That said, there are thousands of genetic diseases that leave who knows how many children with a limited life expectancy, often attached to machines and in need of constant assistance. What Nazis called eugenics was simply killing people but now we can do real eugenics to cure people and offer them a real life expectancy and life quality. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”