Official Review: Mother's Gift by John W. Cranford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Mother's Gift by John W. Cranford

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mother's Gift" by John W. Cranford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mother's Gift by John W. Cranford is a non-fiction book containing excerpts from the author's mother's devotional. There are numerous powerful quotes and verses from the Bible in the text, which are meant to empower and encourage readers who are suffering. The tone in the book is sophisticated, formal, and personal, as the writer shares some of his own experiences with his mother.

The writer begins by discussing the awesome character of his mother. He mentions her selflessness and the love she displayed to him and his five siblings. He remembers that she never complained, even though her husband abandoned her and left her on her own to take care of their children. She never applied for welfare, even though she qualified for it, as she wanted to be self-reliant and independent, while she reacted to pain and suffering in a stoic manner, never crying in front of her kids. She was a primary school teacher, but she also taught Sunday school at their local Methodist Church. Next, the writer shares his mother's devotional, and he includes some pictures of it too. There are many Biblical verses and quotes about the importance of enduring suffering and being grateful in everything.

There were several features of this book that I enjoyed. For one, the book was highly original, as the author shared his personal experiences with his mother in an authentic manner, highlighting his memories in a unique way. Furthermore, I found only one objective grammar error in the text, showing how professionally the book was edited. What I liked most about this book was that it was motivating and inspiring, as the Bible verses and wise sayings in the text give the reader emotional strength to endure any challenge that enters his/her life.

What I disliked most about the text was that it was poorly structured, as the writer failed to organize the book into chapters and there was little cohesion in his thoughts.

This book will be appreciated mostly by Christian readers who understand 19th century English, as many of the quotes in the text are written in this language. Readers who like reading inspiring books with quotes and verses will also enjoy the text.

In conclusion, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I decided not to give this book a perfect rating due to its incoherent structure. However, it deserved no less because it was original, empowering, and professionally edited.

Mother's Gift
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Mothers are a special gift, at least to most of us. John showed his appreciation and affection by compiling this piece. Thank you for your well-done review.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book sounds like an interesting mix of Christian literature and history. It's isn't often that someone writes about their mom's life. This is in itself a great premise for a book. Thanks for writing a great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Mothers are brave, all in on one package. I love that the author mum was determined to strong and Cate for her kids. This book is very inspiring, thanks for a detailed review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sounds like an inspiring book. I'm interested in taking a peek
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

The book promises to meet my longing. I love geting empowered from the christianity perspective
Chinma1026
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Chinma1026 »

The review makes me feel it will be an interesting and really inspiring book for those that are down and really needs encouragement in this life
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Mothers are truly precious and their ability to perservere through various challenges is second to none. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”