Official Review: Takes More Than Heart by Dennis Mellen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Official Review: Takes More Than Heart by Dennis Mellen

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Takes More Than Heart" by Dennis Mellen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Takes More Than Heart: Changing the Journey's Challenges into Opportunities by Dennis Mellen is a memoir, self-help, and development book. It's about the author, Mr. Mellen, who worked with Alaska Airlines for 28 years. His life and passion were in jeopardy after an accident that resulted in a heart problem that forced him to retire. Will he be able to fly again? Read this inspiring book to find out how he managed his health, family, trauma, losses, and wins.

The author intends to use this book to help people find their bearing and purpose in life. I must applaud him for the courage to put down his failures, successes, and vulnerabilities in writing to inspire his audience. What I love most in this book is that Mr. Mellen didn't give up on himself; instead, he focussed on "what's important next" (WIN). Even with the rejections and turn downs in his pursuit to be reinstated, the author remained positive. This quote by him inspired me, "I don't look at how tough the situation is but rather remain tough facing the situation because winning and complaining doesn't help you deal with it or stay positive."

Furthermore, he makes us understand that events and obstacles are sure to come by, but we have to learn to turn them into opportunities. Readers have a lot of lessons to learn from this book. First, losing a task doesn't mean failure. We should only worry about making our current performances better than the previous ones, and if there's something that we need to do differently. As a teacher, I learned to observe my learners and ensure that I keep up the high spirit and enthusiasm in them throughout the session.

I must commend the author for the many inspiring nuggets in the book. However, the author used a lot of vocabulary words and acronyms that nearly disturbed my reading. But, I turned the situation into a learning process. I learned so many new words in this book since the author also gave their meanings.

This book has 16 chapters, and each of them begins with a thought-provoking and inspiring quote. My favorite one is by Aaron Lauritsen, which reads: “There is strange comfort in knowing no matter what happened today, the sun will rise again tomorrow.” I also admired the stories of some great people that the author used to encourage his readers.

I was so immersed in every aspect of this book. The narration and description of events were breathtaking. The author includes pictures of himself, his coach, and his son, which helped me relate more to the author. There is nothing to dislike about this book, and it is exceptionally edited. Therefore, I am rating Takes More Than Heart: Changing the Journey's Challenges into Opportunities a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

I happily recommend this great piece to individuals who are in a leadership position and those who are facing challenges but are willing to give it a positive approach. Lovers of aviation and athletes will be inspired by the book too.

Takes More Than Heart
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank for the recommendation! Great job with this inspiring review!
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Your reviews focused on positive aspect of the book and I really liked how you turned the complicated vocabulary bit into a learning process. It is something that I'm surely going to remember.
Thank You for this review!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

Sounds like an interesting book. I will add this book to my shelf. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Having been a victim of various accidents myself I easily relate with those who have suffered loss or injury from one accident to the other. The great lesson is to be able to rise from every set back. Great review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Indeed, for a pilot, having a health issue is very dangerous considering their working place. I'm glad that Dennis was able to cope with his situation.
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

The ability to bounce back after these kind of incidents is worth emulating. Great review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I usually enjoy an inspirational memoir that offers life lessons. This should be a useful book for those that enjoy a self-help, memoir or anyone that has suffered a business setback, personal loss, or a health challenge. Excellent review on this book.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

A book i would enjoy. The review was very informative and relates details about the way the author presented the material in a captivating manner. On the bookshelf it goes. Well done with a super review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sounds like a good book from this interesting review . Thanks for your thoroughness - I will be adding this to my bookshelf
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I'm not really a self-help book kind of person, but you made this sound like a must-read, I'm adding it to my list. Thanks for the incredible review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Kdhoeck
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kdhoeck »

I have purchased and read this book. I agree totally with Chigo Nwagboso’s review. Recently, as happens to everyone, a medical situation has come my way. Having already read Dennis Mellen’s book I used his inspiration to begin the journey back. So far so good, thank-you Dennis for your joy, advise and inspiration. He has truly focused me on “what comes next?” Thank-you from the bottom of my heart!
Ashley2014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley2014.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ashley2014 »

This book definitely shows you how to turn something painful into beautiful and how to not let all the life's traumas affect you so bad. This book is, in fact, very inspiring.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This book captures how to have hope again after a tragic accident that makes one unable to do the things before. Thank you for the lovely review!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The author story has the potential to inspire many readers. I like a book that also teaches new words. Congrats!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”