Official Review: Escape the Maze by T. Mertz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Official Review: Escape the Maze by T. Mertz

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape the Maze" by T. Mertz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A keen interest in my personal growth led me to read T. Mertz’s book, Escape the Maze. I have read other self-improvement books before; however, Mertz’s plan is different because it requires the person pursuing self-growth to avoid toxic relationships and aim at reaching his/her “higher self.” The higher self or true being, on the other hand, is defined as one’s true path in life. Further, while healthy relationships kept one rooted in his/her true path, Mertz asserted that toxic relationships depleted one’s energy reserves, hence, inhibiting personal growth.

On occasion, Mertz spoke of her experience as a mother, a factor that helped define her personal development journey. Once when her two boys were little and a year apart, she felt overwhelmed keeping up with them, in terms of housekeeping and monitoring what they ate. She became depressed and fatigued. In her moment of despair, for the sake of her family, she knew she had to change. Later, once her expectations of her family changed, Mertz started enjoying special moments with her family.

I liked this book mainly because of the discussed concept of how one can grow into attaining his/her higher self. Other than the concept resonating well with my reason for picking up the book, I found the process involved appealing: e.g., initially, the person concerned needs to attain peace with others. Furthermore, Mertz advocated for her reader to upgrade his/her life from the falsehood that was characterized by the ego. As well, through tapping the mind’s energy, she goes on to give practical ways of breaking the bad habits and falsehoods that manifest in our lives.

On the other hand, I didn’t like that she didn’t elaborate on a few terms. In her writing, the “universe” is given personal attributes such that it’s a teacher, a learner, a carer, etc., all at the same time. In the same breath, she seems to suggest the term as a synonym to other words, like “deity,” “Gaia,” “god/goddess,” “divine,” and even “higher self.” Why does she find it necessary to use all these terms interchangeably as if they were homogenous? And why does she ascribe the “universe” personal qualities, while she could have used more well-understood animate labels, like “god/goddess” or “divine?” Additionally, in terms of weakness, I came across eight editing errors in the book.

Lastly, as a result of the aforementioned weaknesses, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone interested in a personal development plan. Mertz provides practical steps of retraining the mind, including through the adoption of healthy eating habits. At the same time, it may be unsuitable for readers who are not open to change.

Escape the Maze
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Avoiding toxic relationships looks like a very good advice. It seems like the book contains useful information. Thank you for your honest review!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Readers on the path of self-development will find this book insightful. I quite like the title of the book. It's not really the type of content that interests me personally, but I think it will add great value to readers who search for their "higher self." Thanks for the great review.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

this book sounds to give the antidot for pschological issues. Thanks for the honest review
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's not always easy to avoid toxic relationships. It will be interesting to read how the author suggests we should do that.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I like that the author is trying to help others by recounting her own experiences. But, from your review, it looks like the book needs more work. Thanks for your review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds interesting and fresh, but I can understand your concerns about this book. I guess it's a little confusing from the terms point of view. Thank you for this great review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I think that self-improvement books can't be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, so I understand your concerns. Thank you for your honest review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I understand your point about the author's choice of words. People usually ascribe ideas about teaching life lessons to a deity of some sort. Yet, I agree with her belief that dealing toxic relationships is draining and should be avoided as much as possible.

Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”