Official Review: Ignorance Ain't Bliss by Steven B. Lofton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Ignorance Ain't Bliss by Steven B. Lofton

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ignorance Ain't Bliss" by Steven B. Lofton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ignorance Ain't Bliss: The Black Problem in America by Steven B. Lofton tells the story of a young boy caught in the crossfire of his parents' fight for justice and society set to destroy them. He moves from living in foster homes to living in the fast lane, which eventually leads him into all manner of addictions. Steven is forced to confront the questions that have plagued him all his life: "What is the black problem in America?" This book questions what we think we know. It is a new dimension to a multifaceted problem — an answer to a rarely asked question.

The crux of this book is on the problems facing Black communities in America. Through the author's experiences, the reader appreciates what the problem with African Americans truly is. Interestingly, as I see them in the book, the issues aren't the conventional issues we know. Before reading this book, I have believed that the slave mentality is the biggest challenge of the black man. However, Steven shows me another angle to which I am completely oblivious. The unconventional, dare I say, never-heard-of information the author shares makes it worth the read.

One thing that showed throughout the book was the author's anger. He was utterly displeased at leadership in Black communities. He frowned at how black leaders — religious, social, and political — had done nothing to fix the black problem he identified in this book. I would urge every black leader to get this book; the things the author shared in this book would help them chart a better course for black folks in America and any other country.

Beyond its specific theme, the book also offers an interesting yet thought-provoking insight into the American problem. It's safe to say that the black problem can't be solved if a holistic approach isn't taken.

My favorite aspect of this book is the numerous documents that authenticate the author's claims. He also provides names of places and things to aid further research. This is a well-thought-out book.

I found several errors in the book. However, considering the book's volume, I did not penalize it. Nonetheless, I would recommend another round of editing to fix these errors. Apart from the errors, there was nothing else I disliked about the book. Therefore, I would rate the book a four out of four. The perfect rating would have been 3.5, but that would be violating the approved rating format.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in a different, unconventional approach to solving the black problem.

Ignorance Ain't Bliss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This is great and I would love to read more. Your review was honest and I appreciate that. Problems in our society will never get better or be solved if they are not openly talked about and discussed. Thanks for your review
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Hopefully all the errors can be fixed to make this book even better. Great review to read!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”