Official Review: Bitch You Better by Noonie Greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Bitch You Better by Noonie Greene

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bitch You Better" by Noonie Greene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bitch You Better is a memoir and self-help book by Noonie Greene. The book discusses the things that the author has learned through the trials in her life. She was born in the 1970s in a stable, two-parent family with numerous supportive relatives. Her world fell apart when her father died suddenly in December of 1988.

Following her father’s death, Noonie was no longer protected from the harshness of the outside world. She was robbed at gunpoint for a pair of earrings when she was 16 years old. On another occasion, she saw a pimp stomp a woman to death. In December of 1991, an explosion killed her grandmother and left her uncle disabled. Noonie ended up turning to alcohol and workaholism to deal with the pain of her losses.

I was deeply touched by the author’s powerful story of loss and triumph. She is a commendably resilient and extroverted individual. She has never shied away from pursuing a challenge. Everyone processes trauma differently. I believe that many people would have shut down when confronted with the challenges that she has faced.

I appreciated the author’s unflinching honesty when discussing her approach to life. She does not shy away from talking about the fact that alcohol played a significant role in her life for a long time. She is forthright about the fact that after the loss of her father and her grandmother, she developed a confrontational attitude, as expressed in the following sentence.

“My attitude at this point was like, ‘f*ck the world. Don’t ask me for sh*t. Bitch did you catch my grandmother's killer, are you even looking for them? No. Please get the f*ck out my face.’”

I do not believe that the book was professionally edited, but I don’t think that it needs to be. I think that it is deeply effective in its raw form. I did not find any errors in the text, although I did find some places where words were crossed out. I don’t know if this is something that the author intended to leave in the manuscript. I found it somewhat confusing.

This was the one aspect of the book that I disliked. However, it was not a significant enough problem for me to detract from the overall rating. I give Bitch You Better four out of four stars.

This book is a good choice for readers who appreciate gritty stories about real people’s experiences. The book contains a significant amount of profanity and several descriptions of violent situations as well as discussions of adult subject matter such as drugs and alcohol. Readers who would prefer to avoid profanity and violent scenes would be advised to choose another book.

Bitch You Better
View: on Bookshelves
Chinma1026
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Chinma1026 »

Interesting review
I'm really a fan of reading stories about others experiences and I know this will be a great book
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review! The title of the book is drawing and inviting.
patrice50p
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrice50p »

I really like this book it gives you an understanding of someone else trials in life that you can relate with I greatly appreciate the author for this book.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The loss of a parent is a loss that can never really be adequately put into words. Great review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I really enjoyed your review. There is a lot that can be learned from the hard times others go through.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”