Official Review: Soulful Words by Cheryl Ingram

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Soulful Words by Cheryl Ingram

Post by SamaylaM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soulful Words" by Cheryl Ingram.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If we think about higher education, we think about the broad knowledge we can gather, the friendships we can make, and the institution that can be a home to us for future years. However, what happens when the reality of higher education is vastly different from our expectations? In the following book, we discover the harsh existence of stereotypes and institutionalized racism that people of color face in their academic journey.

Soulful Words: The Testimonies of Black Students’ on the Manifestation of Institutional Discrimination in Higher Education by Cheryl Ingram is an eye-opening and moving piece of writing that puts forth topics of Racism in Universities, Critical Race Theory, Black Feminism, and so on. The author opens the book with a captivating letter addressed to the racism that I would like to cite a few lines of, “The disguise you don is elusive. We live in an era where your figment exists and no one believes in your existence.” It straightaway pulled me in, and I knew there had to be lots of knowledge for me to absorb from this book. I’m pleased to say that the author did not disappoint. Cheryl Ingram takes us from the rationale, significance, and theoretical framework of her study to the personal stories of the students of color.

Truthfully, there were a lot of aspects in this book that were remarkable. The author talked extensively about fundamental data from many previous pieces of research regarding the main themes in great detail. Besides, I got to learn some new words (epistemological, pedagogical). The author also did an excellent job by allowing the participants to use a pseudonym so they could speak openly about their experiences. She divided the nine participants into three categories, namely the graduates, the currently enrolled, and the push-outs. Among them, I loved reading the testimony of TEN the most, whom I found passionate and open. The author also included her alter-ego, Busara, which was very creative and allowed more viewpoints to the book.

While I did not strongly dislike anything presented in this book, I, however, could not overlook a few grammar errors and editing issues. They stopped it from being a smooth read. If the book can go for another round of proofreading or editing, it’d be a lot better.

To summarize, I would rate Soulful Words: The Testimonies of Black Students’ on the Manifestation of Institutional Discrimination in Higher Education by Cheryl Ingram with 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the grammar and editing issues. The book is not advised for the younger audience as it contains profanities. Apart from that, it was an upstanding read with some advanced words, beautiful quotes, and strong sentiments. I would gladly recommend this book, which is so shockingly real, to everyone who wants to have a better understanding of institutionalized racism. It will also give readers a perspective on policies to ensure equality for all kinds of students in higher education.

“Even in silence, there is an ‘invisible’ violence, a violence of doing nothing that perpetuates the manifestations of racism and other forms of subordination.” (Bourdieu & Passerson, 2000)

Soulful Words
View: on Bookshelves
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your insightful review. This looks like a useful book for those who are interested in racism issues, especially with the current Black Lives Matter social movement.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Although it is not a very easy read, it is educational to learn about racism and discrimination. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

That's quite an eye-opening - for people with an open mind, that is - book about serious issues that still exist. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very informative book that should be read by everyone. Thanks for your excellent review!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

It is disappointing how racism still prevails, that too in places of higher education. The author seemed to have done a good job presenting and discussing them in this book. Thanks for the detailed review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

What a thought provoking storyline. Racism is just too bad and disheartening. Thanks for an insightful review.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

This books title is itself quite creative and catchy! Your review did add to my interest to read the book. Great review 👍
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like the passage you included from the opening letter. It is quite poetic and thought-provoking.

Thank you for your candid review.
🙂
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Racism is rife in some institutions of higher learning. Books like these shine a light on such important matters. I hope the author will heed your call and polish it because it is a valuable contribution to society. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for your great review! A must-read book in our troubled time.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Sou Hi wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 20:41 Thanks for your insightful review. This looks like a useful book for those who are interested in racism issues, especially with the current Black Lives Matter social movement.
I'm so glad you thought that!
Thank you for your enlightening comment!
:tiphat:
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 03:32 Although it is not a very easy read, it is educational to learn about racism and discrimination. Great review!
Thank you so much! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

NetMassimo wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 08:07 That's quite an eye-opening - for people with an open mind, that is - book about serious issues that still exist. Thank you for your great review!
Indeed, one needs an open mind to understand these issues.
Thank you for the honest comment! :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:

Post by SamaylaM »

Prisallen wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 09:17 This sounds like a very informative book that should be read by everyone. Thanks for your excellent review!
You're most welcome! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”