Official Review: The Life of Sea Glass by Indy Aina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: The Life of Sea Glass by Indy Aina

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life of Sea Glass" by Indy Aina.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The tests we face in life’s journey are not to reveal our weaknesses but to help us discover our inner strengths. We can only know how strong we are when we strive and thrive beyond the challenges we face.”—Kemi Sogunle.

The Life of Sea Glass by Indy Aina is a memoir that traverses the journey of the author from rural Pennsylvania to a secluded shore on the beautiful island of Maui. Torn between a parent who’s hooked on drugs and the other parent who’s a strict Catholic, she passed through a lot and was able to transform the shards of her life into well-rounded and beautiful sea glass.

In an engaging, clear, and smooth writing style, the author wrote a book that’s hard to put down. On a related note, I appreciated the versatility of life aspects that this memoir touched upon; romance that flourished amidst pain, as well as adventure and travel emerging from within the folds of an abusive relationship.

Furthermore, I relished in the details of her enjoyable adventures and was exhilarated I could see Maui through the eyes of the author, the thing that instilled the extravagant feeling of this book being fit to be a travel literature book. Additionally, the love of nature and its creatures added such gentleness and empathy to the prose.

The authenticity and the candor displayed in this memoir are to be commended, for the author saw the silver lining in dismal situations, and was prudent enough not to fall into the trap of self-pity and bitterness. I respected her tackling her vulnerabilities in a transparent and realistic manner without sugar-coating facts.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. Moreover, it is obviously professionally edited, as I only encountered a few trivial typographical errors that did not detract from the flow of the reading. I think this memoir has a bit of everything for everyone; in it, you shall find love, bravery, resilience, hard-work, leading by example, kindness and empathy, forgiveness, romance, and adventure. So, if by any means you happen to be interested in any of the aforementioned, I’d recommend you pick this book. In light of all this, it thrills me to rate The Life of Sea Glass by Indy Aina 4 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, I initially wondered as to what the author could have possibly gone through that may offer the reader profound wisdom when she’s still 34! I couldn’t have been more wrong. This is certainly a woman who’s wise beyond her years, someone whose journey went from broken to beautiful, and a person who not only survived but thrived.

The Life of Sea Glass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

I usually am not into memoirs but this book sounds so interesting. It's wise and it's real. I hope I can read the novel, soon and gain some wisdom from it. Torn between two opposite-minded parents is tough. Going through life with the acknowledgment of that fact is tougher.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

It's such an amazing memoir; The author did not give up on life and relationship despite her challenges both with her parents and her abusive relationship. I would love to read this and learn more about life.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I can't even imagine how difficult it was for her growing up with parents that didn't seem to have aligning beliefs. Nice review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to read about Maui through the eyes of the author! Thank you for this insightful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”