Official Review: The Little Breadwinner by Lucia Mann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Official Review: The Little Breadwinner by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Little Breadwinner" by Lucia Mann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is based on true events. The Salvadoran Civil War, from 1979 to 1992, ravaged the Central American state of El Salvador. Around 75 000 Salvadorans lost their lives by the National Guard and military death squads during the war, aided by the U.S. government.

In The Little Bread Winner: War and Survival in The Salvadoran Heartland by Lucia Mann, we follow the story of a young woman by the name of Estrella Godwin Lozano who is struggling to survive amidst the war happening in her country. She is a gifted descendant of the Waorani tribe from the Amazonian rainforest. As the story develops, the female protagonist meets a lot of people like her whose lives were destroyed by the government. They fight to bring back justice and peace to their lives. Will they be able to keep their hopes up during these terrible events and go back to a peaceful life?

I have to start by saying that I loved everything about this book. I admire Lucia Mann's work. She is an activist who writes books for the public to open their eyes to the terrible things happening around the world. I felt a lot of powerful emotions while reading this book. We see the war from the eyes of the victims instead of a political point of view. I find that amazing because it makes us empathize more with them.

I usually do not understand much about politics and wars, but I had no difficulty following the storyline. The book contains the descriptions and dates of the key events that occurred in this war, followed by a map of El Salvador. These pieces of information are all listed at the beginning of the book. She also summarizes the civil war there. Also, there is an inspiring quote at the beginning of every chapter.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I don't see why I wouldn't give it a perfect score. There weren't any grammatical mistakes or typos. It was a heart-wrenching story written with passion. I do not recommend it to children as it contains some pretty serious topics such as rape, death, torture and kidnapping. The descriptions are very vivid, so I also disrecommend to read this story if you are someone who gets triggered easily. People who like reading about wars and are interested in history would love this book. However, I think that everyone should read it because it's an eye-opener to the terrible things that happen in the world.

The Little Breadwinner
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your informative review! I love a good novel that also teaches you history, and I don't know so many things about the Salvadoran Civil War.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”