Official Review: Owning My Mistakes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Official Review: Owning My Mistakes

Post by TCG »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Owning My Mistakes" by Marie Ghislaine Desir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the ways to correct the mistakes of our pasts is to take responsibility for them. We may not be the cause of our misfortunes, but we can fix them by not blaming those around us.

Owning My Mistakes: My Undies Should Fit Now was written by Marie Ghislaine Desir. This book narrated Marie's story and how she almost wrecked her life through wrong choices of relationships. The story starts as the author recounts her childhood experiences with her siblings.

Marie lived with her family in Haiti. As a teenager, she moved out of her mother's house because she felt her mother was forcing her to marry someone against her wish. But her misery started after Marie left her family. She thought her mother was being too protective of her, but her naivety deceived her. Marie narrated how she went through abusive relationships, had a woeful marriage, had an abortion, struggled with her health, and became a single mother. Readers will learn from her mistakes and discover how she corrected her past mistakes.

What I liked most about this story was how the author confronted her mistakes. For example, I admired how she boldly opposed her abuser, Rev. Vendetto. She showed an example of how we could correct those who abused us in the past. We all make mistakes, but many times, we pretend about them. However, the author did not pretend about the mistakes of her past life. I liked how the writer used her life as an example to encourage her audience. She did not hide any information about her past life.

Also, I enjoyed her opinion about racial discrimination in America. Her thoughts were accurate and realistic. She said, "Whiteness is a concept, an ideology, a disease that has plagued America." The author's tone was unbiased, and she revealed certain flaws in politics and religion without prejudice.

The only thing I disliked most about this book is the author's style of structuring his paragraphs. Some pages in the book have only two paragraphs. I was not too fond of it because it affected the readability of the text. I prefer reading a book with fewer sentences in a paragraph. Also, I met a few instances of punctuation errors, but they did not hinder my excitement about her story. However, the text seemed to be professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story was enjoyable and was appropriately executed; hence, it deserves a perfect rating. I didn't deduct a star from the book because of its minor errors. There were a few instances of profane languages; hence, children should not read this book. I recommend this book to those who want to find hope and correct their past mistakes.

Owning My Mistakes
View: on Bookshelves
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I feel you should be able to accept your past mistakes first, then you take responsibility for it. Marie really went through a lot of misfortunes, an abusive relationship and an abortion is not something anyone is proud of. But am happy she was able to confront her past mistakes and also share it with everyone. This book would be a stepping stone for all who are passing through similar situations. Thank you for your amazing review.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

Learning from others' mistakes always pays off. Mary suffered through a lot of pain learning from her life would be a great experience. Nice review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Thank goodness she learned from her mistakes and corrected them. Thanks for your well detailed review and recommendation.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a great autobiography focused on a strong and unique individual. It sounds like there are also some good life lessons woven through the pages that readers could benefit from. Thanks for the review!
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love the title of the book. I admire the author’s candid look at her mistakes and correcting them. It truly rings of hope to those whom are ashamed or frightened to face their mistakes / learn from them. Thanks for the review.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The best thing we can do about our mistakes is accept them, and learn from them. I think the author's honesty and acceptance was a prerequisite for such a book.
You did a great job on this review. Cheers.😁
Live and let live, baby.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”