Official Review: The Silence of Ray by Karen Fletcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: The Silence of Ray by Karen Fletcher

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Silence of Ray" by Karen Fletcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Silence of Ray is a non-fiction memoir by Karen Yvette Renee Taylor-Fletcher commemorating the life of her autistic and developmentally delayed son Raymond (11 July 1987 – 19 October 2003). The book does not simply recount the details of Raymond’s life. It discusses the barriers that individuals with cognitive and intellectual disabilities and their families face in obtaining financial and care assistance, as well as the prejudices that such individuals and their families encounter.

Raymond often wandered away from the house in various states of undress. No matter what precautions the family took, if he wanted to get out of the house, he would find a way to do so. As he got older, he became stronger, and sometimes his anger made it difficult for his mother and siblings to deal with him on their own. He required twenty-four-hour care, but the welfare system did not provide what the family needed. People such as Raymond tend to be viewed as a burden to society on one hand, while on the other hand, their care needs are overlooked by the welfare system.

The author faced the added difficulty of being the sole provider for her family because her husband’s alcoholism and depression rendered him unable to work. There were often members of the extended family staying at the house who did little to contribute. The author also struggled with the judgmental attitudes of everyone from members of her congregation to doctors who misunderstood the nature of her son’s cognitive and intellectual challenges.

When Raymond was found dead on I-95, the police wanted to declare the incident an accident and close the case. The author, however, believes that Raymond’s death was not an accident. She told the police that Raymond liked to run into buildings, not down highways. She believes that Ray was murdered, and his body was dumped on the highway.

I believe that the book was professionally edited. I only found a few small errors. The narrative flowed well and did not repeat itself. Although I had some differences of opinion with the author, I found nothing to dislike about the book and rate it four out of four stars. I believe that everyone from medical personnel to lawmakers to law enforcement should read this book so that they can understand the challenges faced by families in which one of the family members has serious neurological, cognitive, and intellectual impairment.

Autism exists on a spectrum. A person such as Raymond has different challenges than a person like my son, who is on the high-functioning end of the spectrum. My son does not act out publicly to being overstimulated. He tends to withdraw. His intellectual abilities are on the high end of normal and he did well in high school but found college overwhelming and has not been able to hold a job. People on the high-functioning end of the spectrum tend to be accused of faking their symptoms to avoid working, which is false.

I am glad that the author shared her experiences and hope that people will consider reading her brief and compelling account of her son’s life and her struggles working within a social system that denies assistance even to those in dire need. The author writes from a Christian perspective, but I did not find the book “preachy” at any time. Those who enjoy reading biographies and are concerned about social issues will appreciate this book.

The Silence of Ray
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Books like these are a treasure as they shine the spotlight on issues that are not well documented. Thanks for the review. I hope the author got justice for her son or found peace.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Thanks for the review. Your recommendation is just right.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

We need more of these books that raise awareness on such important issues as autism and delayed mental development in our society. Thank you for your review and recommendation.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's very important that these kind of stories get told in order to address the lack of support that these families experience.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have very little experience or exposure in understanding what those with the cognitive and intellectual disabilities and their families face. This kind of book, based off the author's experiences, is definitely going to be an eye-opener.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Ray sounds like someone who had a hard life, but at least it's clear that he was loved. I admired the gesture of writing a book in his honor. However, I don't enjoy reading memoirs.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This book is a memoir of a mother and her journey raising an autistic son. An emotional story. Congratulations BOTD!
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

this seems like an interesting book .thank you.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

A book that provides insight for those who live with an autistic child. And also to those who doesn't have the experience, can get some idea by reading this. Nice review, though I see that there is a spoiler regarding death of the main character
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

While I enjoyed the sweetness of this beautifully written book I'm afraid that it's just not my genre so I am going to pass on it.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I can only applaud the author's courage to share the story of her son's life journey in a society that still has many things to learn about people suffering from autism. Both the community and the medical system should do more for all the families who need lots of support and care. Thanks for a wonderful review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
mmsbhai123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mmsbhai123 »

Judging a person about their issues is not a good thing. From the review, this book is an emotional story of a mother and her autistic son. I want to read it to know these kind of issues and how to face them.
Thanks for the Review.
Last edited by mmsbhai123 on 11 Jan 2021, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction memoir on the life of an autistic son, the barriers and prejudices that individuals with cognitive and intellectual disabilities, and their families, face. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and a well-Written OnlineBookClub review.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

It's not really my kind of read but I'm sure it's worth reading. I congratulate the author for sharing such a personal story. Great review too!
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”