Official Review: Walking Innocence Fence by Nikki James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: Walking Innocence Fence by Nikki James

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking Innocence Fence" by Nikki James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Walking Innocence Fence by Nikki James is a philosophical book of sorts. It draws from various philosophers and quantum physicists and proposes the author’s ideas on life, death, duality (judgment), abortion, and the recycling of souls. Nikki James has learned that being judgmental is a mistake. This idea is from the Lakota tribe teachings. She proposes the belief that we must rid ourselves of duality in order to be truly at peace. There are some contradictory teachings, and the author clarifies them all. An example is where the teaching on abortion says that getting an abortion is like bad medicine. She also included other philosophies that can aid humanity in its quest for ultimate peace.

When I saw the cover page, I expected it to have strong opinions about abortion and womanhood only. On reading the content, I discovered that this book is more than just a squabble. The author provided deep insight into many issues that I have always wondered about, including death, technology, the evolution of man, and breathing. The author’s idea of where souls go after the death of its body was particularly interesting to me. The writer made comparisons between “Joe Caveman, Industrialized Joe, and Industrialized Modern Joe” to show how the thought process of man has changed over time. I found that part not only insightful but entertaining as well.

Another thing I liked about the book was the personal touch the author gave it. It felt like I was having a one-on-one conversation with James. She included rhetorical questions and witty side comments that made me question my current beliefs while laughing out loud. As someone who is a deep-thinker, this book had a huge appeal for me, and I was very invested in finding out more about the author’s theories on life. Because of this, I’m sure that this book will mostly appeal to deep thinkers and philosophers, who like to have fascinating conversations about life. I must warn that you may not agree with all her ideas, but they are insightful nonetheless. There is no profanity or eroticism, but I advise that only mature minds should read this piece.

It may not appeal to people who are looking for a light read or people who dislike talking about abortion. Even though it is a short read, this book is packed with mind-boggling revelations that will make you think! I enjoyed the author’s thoughts, but I felt like there were missing words. For instance, the author introduced the term “garment tearing.” Instead of using a full, engaging sentence like “I’m sure you’re wondering what garment tearing is...” to begin explaining it as per usual, she used a short, impersonal question: “Garment Tearing?” This was very off-brand, and I noticed it in many other parts of the book.

Although I hardly found typos, I think this book needs another round of editing, as its organization is subpar. There is no table of content to guide a reader; the pages are not numbered either. There aren’t even chapters. The author just goes from one idea to the next without any proper progression. In fact, it felt like the author’s ideas were all over the place, leaving the reader to make sense of it alone. Also, it ended so abruptly that I was left wondering if that was really the end. For these reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If it was properly organized and the author’s ideas fully expressed, I would gladly rate it 4 stars.

Walking Innocence Fence
View: on Bookshelves
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like an intriguing read. I love books like this that discuss controversial topics. Great review!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I might think to read the book only when it is passed through another round of editing. Thanks for a nice and detailed review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Was attracted by the name of the book. Thank you for the detailed review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This book sounds so philosophical and deep. I'm really interested in the topics that you highlighted in this review, so this book is a big yes for me. The name of the book is also intriguing.
Great review, as usual 😉.
Live and let live, baby.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I, too, was intrigued by the book's title. You have outlined the author's main topics in an honest estimation of the content and depth of her writing. Great recommendation. Thanks!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, this certainly is an insightful and informative review. From what you said, the book seems complicated, and it would be hard to follow due to the improper layout.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am a little interested in this book because of its philosophical nature. I also found myself intrigued by the contradictory teachings this title contains. I like how detailed your review is.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I’m another one whose curiosity was piqued by the title! It sounds like the author touches on a wide range of interesting topics.
Thank you for an excellent review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This seems like an interesting book. I love to read philosophy. Great review!
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I think I understand what you mean about the organisation of points in the book. I have read a book like that. I wish the author heeds your advice. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Not the type of read for me. I would prefer something like Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, which contains some scientific backing. Thanks for the review, though!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm definitely someone who tends to think deeply about the world and life. Walking Innocence Fence sounds like a thought-provoking read. Thank you for your great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very interesting and worth exploring read to me. I'm not a fan of abrupt endings either, but I still would give this one a try. Thank you for this amazing review!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

The topics on where souls go after death nand recycling of soul sound interesting and make me want to read the book. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”