Official Review: 7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian,...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: 7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian,...

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian, & 7 Years Organic" by Mary Hubbard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian, and 7 Years Organic, written by Mary Hubbard, is a testament to the importance of proper nutrition. The author has been on an extensive journey of losing weight, being a vegetarian, and consuming organic foods and products. The book is detailed and thorough; it is a well-researched, comprehensive, and useful manual that contains vast, encyclopedic knowledge about the subject.

The book’s main shortcoming, in my opinion, was its overly detailed perspective. For instance, it painstakingly describes the signs and symptoms of several types of cancer, which I felt was unnecessary in a book about nutrition. As a reader, I wasn’t expecting such exhaustive medical material about diseases. Throughout these parts, I felt like I was reading a wearisome, laborious medical volume, and I thought this did not add to the reading experience. On the contrary, quite frankly, it felt like unwanted information.

With that said, I thought that the book is worth reading, for it has several positive aspects. It is a treatise on biology that explains how each important system functions in the body, and for each one, the author provides valuable nutritional recommendations. For instance, there’s an examination of the importance of gut health, and I was surprised to find out that 80 to 90% of serotonin is made in the gut! Also, “80% of your immune system spends most of its time around your gut. The health of your gut bacteria and the health of your immune system are vitally linked.”

What I liked the most about this book was the wealth of information about how to eat better. Hubbard shares her huge personal experience of healthy eating, including avoiding meats, sugar, and caffeine. She confesses that she used to be a “potato-chip” person and shares actionable tips on how to change our eating (and drinking) habits. I also enjoyed the discussion about the controversy regarding what the term organic means. I particularly liked the author’s explanation of organic labeling standards; it was instructive and helpful.

Finally, I rate this informative book 3 out of 4 stars. It needs another round of editing, for I found spelling and grammatical mishaps in it. These errors and the overly detailed description of diseases and their symptoms made me take a star away from the rating. Nevertheless, it is an impressive and meticulous work, and I would recommend it to readers interested in nutrition. I learned a lot by reading it. Furthermore, abundant and comprehensive scientific references are evidence of a diligent and research-based piece. Readers who aren’t fond of in-depth, scholarly studies might not appreciate it, though.

7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian, & 7 Years Organic
View: on Bookshelves
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

If I were to read this, I think I would end up skimming over the sections that are too detailed. Given the title I would be more intersted in the way to eat heathier and the benefits. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Letora wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 08:21 If I were to read this, I think I would end up skimming over the sections that are too detailed. Given the title I would be more intersted in the way to eat heathier and the benefits. Thank you for your review!
The best parts are the ones about ways to eat healthier, indeed. Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a very thorough and informative book that will be enjoyable for people who are interested in nutrition. Thank you very much for the great review!
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I sure would love to get the information about healthy eating and changing eating habits from this well-researched book. Apart from the too detailed disease conditions and grammatical errors, this is a great book. Thanks for the review.
Syd1997
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Syd1997 »

Being more specific about the eating habits would benefit this book more and have lots more people read it.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Well the book seems nice but I don't think a lot of pple will go for it.
Nice review though. Good job
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Thanks for the review, while I am interested in information on nutrition, I would probably also be put off by the medical details and descriptions so I will look for a book which is a bit less heavy.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

It is a good book to read even though there were unnecessary topics discussed. I would read it but will only focus on the nutrition and good dieting . Great review.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I think this kind of book can be a good one for many people. As we have more and more sicknesses and diseases because of our diet, this can inform us with so much knowledge on how to eat healthier diets.

Thanks for the review, I appreciate it!
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I have never been a vegetarian, and though this book is very informative regarding nutrition and the benefits of living a healthy diet, I'm not sure if this will motivate me to become one.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Marissa126
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marissa126 »

re would love to get the information about healthy eating and changing eating habits from this well-researched book. Apart from the too detailed disease conditions and grammatical errors, this is a great book.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like cooking and eating, and I like learning about healthy options. Since I have read already quite a bit on the topic, this book with detailed sections on unexpected topics may make it interesting to me since it will bring new information.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”