Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spirituality for REAL" by WakunDaMa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is your life’s purpose? What is the nature of God? When considering these meta-questions, many people turn to their spiritual beliefs for answers. Author WakunDaMa answers these questions clearly and confidently in his latest book, Spirituality for Real: Deep Healing: Finding Strength When Reality Seems Unkind.

The author writes of a personal path that included a period of self-destructive behavior in the form of drug overdoses and alcohol abuse. The practices that enabled him to leave behind the addictive behavior and find a spiritual path are the essence of his message. How do we find strength when times are rough?

Your soul holds a contract, an agreement between you and spirit, to fulfill your highest good, says WakunDaMa. A human lifetime – every experience you have and every person you know – offers opportunities to help you reach your greatest potential. Everything in your life reflects various aspects of God; nothing and no one is to blame. It’s all benevolently designed for you by your higher self.

Important to this thinking is knowing how to respond when difficulty arises. WakunDaMa discovered that as he stepped in and took responsibility for loving himself in the way he craved and deserved to be loved, his self-destructive behavior subsided. This is an advanced version of responsibility. It calls on you to release any sense of victimhood and know your needs won’t likely be met by anyone but God, and you are God.

When adversity causes fear or anxiety, the instinct is to avoid the feeling. Fear, writes the author, is an invitation for growth. Cultivating curiosity is a way to work with fear head-on. WakunDaMa includes numerous drawings and video links to assist readers with his exercises and meditations. The book wraps up with a review of the healing power of gratitude and self-love.

I enjoyed this book very much. It’s the second in WakunDaMa’s Spirituality for Real series and is geared toward practices for finding the courage to heal pain and fear. The message synthesizes the best aspects of transpersonal psychology, inner child work, the law of attraction, and body-centered mindfulness. WakunDaMa doesn’t just repackage these disciplines. He is uniquely skilled at gathering disparate threads of truth and weaving them into his own cohesive cosmology.

At times, we’ve all felt like life is against us. Maybe there is a deadly, contagious virus sweeping the globe, you lost your job, and you were stressed even before all of that. Could this be part of a plan? WakunDaMa calls adversity a “positive, loving, and nurturing” conspiracy against you. The exercises and meditations effectively illustrate how meeting painful content with curiosity and reverence engages the brain in such a way that the pain begins to dissipate.

I am familiar with many of the teachings in the book, but the author’s angle is fresh and unique. There is a subtler quality about his writing that makes the book an absolute pleasure to read. His orientation to his audience and humanity as a whole is endearing. The book is written with love and empathy toward the reader. “So good to see you, dear friend,” is the book’s opening sentence. This is WakunDaMa’s true gift.

For its clearly defined spiritual teachings, solid presentation, and big heart, I gladly award the second installment of Spirituality for Real 4 out of 4 stars. The few editing errors I found were mostly typographic and specific to the fonts used in my version of the book, I believe. I found myself wanting a little more content about the author’s life experience, but there was a bit more of that in the first book.

I recommend the book to any adult who enjoys expanding their knowledge of religion and spirituality. I think Hindus, Buddhists, and non-dual thinkers will find familiar but fresh material in this book. The author’s kindness and humility set the tone for an open invitation rather than a conversion attempt. You won’t find many books that are more user-friendly than this one. If you are looking for some affirmation and empathy during a difficult time, this book may feel like a warm blanket on a cold day.

Spirituality for REAL
View: on Bookshelves
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I would like to expand my knowledge of spirituality and this book provides insights on that. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I perceive this book has lots of answers to my questions. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Ogoskino wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 10:01 I would like to expand my knowledge of spirituality and this book provides insights on that. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for dropping by. Yes, this is a good one for answering big spiritual questions. I hope you enjoy it!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 14:45 I perceive this book has lots of answers to my questions. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by. This book is a pleasure to read. I hope you enjoy it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a well written book that offers an interesting perspective about life. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the great review!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Thank you for your nice review that makes me find this book friendly and enjoyable and adds one more book on my shelf. Healing stories are always compelling to me as I am curious about the ways each of us finds to have happiness.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 16:06 This seems like a well written book that offers an interesting perspective about life. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you so much for dropping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 00:58 Thank you for your nice review that makes me find this book friendly and enjoyable and adds one more book on my shelf. Healing stories are always compelling to me as I am curious about the ways each of us finds to have happiness.
I hope you check out the book. Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Your review took my breath away! Not so long ago, this wasn't my go-to genre. But I seem to find myself pulled towards it more and more recently. And your review is a form of art in itself, thank you! :) I am adding this book to my shelf :)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

LinaJan wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 09:15 Your review took my breath away! Not so long ago, this wasn't my go-to genre. But I seem to find myself pulled towards it more and more recently. And your review is a form of art in itself, thank you! :) I am adding this book to my shelf :)
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you are planning to try the book. WakunDaMa really his a unique voice.
-Nayyirah Waheed
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Sounds like it would be an enjoyable read for those who are interested in spirituality and spiritual practices; the author sounds like an authoritative and kind soul, and I can imagine that opening to the first page of his book and seeing the words, “So good to see you, dear friend,” might feel like being welcomed home. Wonderful review. Congrats on the BOTD!
Kerry-Ann_v_R
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 93

Post by Kerry-Ann_v_R »

This book is not completely free to read, the free book of the day posting says you don't need to have kindle, but that is incorrect, you cannot read this without kindle. This is starting to feel like a page that tries to make you buy a kindle subscription, is this website a scam? :x
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I love how subtle this book is. A book written with empathy and presented as a gift to humanity. I would love to read. God knows I need to understand and overcome fear. The review is amazing too.
Andrea__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Andrea__ »

:D What a great book to start the day! We all need to know our purpose in life and this book seems like a good guide to discovering what that purpose is. This is something I have been struggling with therefore this book can teach me a lot. Thank you for your informative review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”