Official Review: Raising Eyebrows by Dal LaMagna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Raising Eyebrows by Dal LaMagna

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raising Eyebrows" by Dal LaMagna.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even as a boy, Dal LaMagna had the spirit of an entrepreneur, but he made some costly mistakes with his entrepreneurial ventures that landed him in serious debt by the time he graduated from Harvard Business School. Fortunately, LaMagna learned from his mistakes, and he shares his experience and insight in Raising Eyebrows: A Failed Entrepreneur Finally Gets It Right. After "failing at dozens of businesses," he learned to exercise focus and caution that he credits to his early failures: "I believe my failures to be as important as my later accomplishments because it is there that the seeds of success for Tweezerman are deeply rooted." Chapter by chapter, LaMagna highlights the lessons he has learned and shares how his $500 investment became a successful business that employs hundreds.

At the beginning of the book, LaMagna shared a meaningful quote from his mother: "Failure is just a perception." Although he acknowledged that it took him years to fully comprehend the significance of her encouraging words, the philosophy was reflected in his engaging narrative. LaMagna’s story stood out because he not only acknowledged his mistakes, but he also learned to capitalize on them. This was illustrated throughout the book. For instance, LaMagna wasn't accepted to Harvard when he graduated from high school despite his straight-A average. When he attended Providence College, he didn't apply himself, was almost expelled, and started eleven unsuccessful businesses. However, he began keeping a scrapbook that documented his failures. It was a letter summarizing these failures, including the statement: "This compulsive capitalist seeks your knowledge and guidance" that gained him acceptance to graduate school at both Harvard and Columbia.

I particularly like LaMagna's storytelling style. With occasional humor, he weaves engaging dialogues and anecdotes throughout the book, as he shares his childhood, family life, entrepreneurial risks, and the lessons leading to his success. LaMagna's revelation regarding the inspiration behind the idea for his successful invention caught me off guard and was somewhat humorous. I won't reveal spoilers since he doesn't mention it until the last half of the book, but suffice it to say that the proverb "Necessity is the mother of invention" applies.

Additionally, chapters included LaMagna's practical advice highlighted in bold type, such as: "The first thing I learned was the best way to deal with creditors was to talk to them, meet with them if you have to, and acknowledge the debt." I also admire LaMagna's tenacity; he sets a goal and follows through with it.

Although there isn't anything that I dislike about the book's content, it needs further editing. The minor errors are mostly related to incorrect capitalization and punctuation, but there are more than ten, necessitating the deduction of a star. Overall, I rate Raising Eyebrows 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the informative book to readers who are interested in entrepreneurship, start-ups, and rags-to-riches narratives. Sensitive readers are cautioned that it contains profanity, recreational drug use, and nonexplicit sexual references.

Raising Eyebrows
View: on Bookshelves
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I am interested in entrepreneurship and I think this book would be very helpful. I will read it when I have time. Thanks for the review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Entrepreneurship is everything for me! I love this book already and so am adding it to my list. Thanks for this review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ogoskino wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 09:55 I am interested in entrepreneurship and I think this book would be very helpful. I will read it when I have time. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 14:32 Entrepreneurship is everything for me! I love this book already and so am adding it to my list. Thanks for this review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I love informative books where the authors share their experiences to help others. Thanks for this amazing review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miraphery wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 07:56 I love informative books where the authors share their experiences to help others. Thanks for this amazing review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

The author's ability to always learn from mistakes and move on, is quite relatable with Newberry's Burn Zones.
Thanks!
Just do it!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Gifted Soul wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 03:55 The author's ability to always learn from mistakes and move on, is quite relatable with Newberry's Burn Zones.
Thanks!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Failures are testimonies of your breakthrough, but you must strive to attain it.I will really benefit from this book.Thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”