Official Review: Keep On The Watch by Jodi L Serino-Barbour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Seven Words You Never Want to Hear
Bookshelf Size: 1075
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Sparkling Inspirational Poetry of God's Love and Grace by Sherry Callis

Official Review: Keep On The Watch by Jodi L Serino-Barbour

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Keep On The Watch" by Jodi L Serino-Barbour.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What was the situation on Earth like during Noah’s days? Why did Noah find favor in the eyes of God? What was so different about this man who ensured the continuity of mankind and other animal species? How are the current times similar to Noah’s? Are we paying enough attention?

There was an increase in violence and wickedness on Earth as the number of people increased. In the fullness of time, God was so grieved that He decided to destroy all human beings and creatures that had the breath of life. However, Noah gained favor before God, and he was spared. He was told to build an ark when he was five hundred years old in preparation for the floods that would annihilate every living creature. The ark was a massive project. Noah must have been ridiculed by many people because no one had until then seen or heard about rainfall. Noah also had to wait for a hundred years for the flooding to occur. This book is a thorough examination of the sixth, seventh, and eighth chapters of Genesis. It also includes a comprehensive study of the Bible prophecies concerning the end times. There is so much that readers will discover that will inspire them to be watchful.

Keep On The Watch: A Comprehensive Study and Comparison of Noah’s Day to Our Own was authored by Jodi L. Serino-Barbour. It was published in 2019 by Jodi Lynn SB Publishing and Editing. It is 290 pages long and consists of three parts with a total of ten chapters. This book is primarily about paying attention when God speaks. Believers are called to go before God prepared to listen to what He will say in return. Why? The author states God still speaks currently just as in Noah’s days. It is about being proactive in preparation for the great ‘Day of the Lord’.

The book addresses many crucial issues that have been swept under the carpet by many people. Believers are reminded that salvation does not come from one’s religion but by faith in Christ Jesus. Therefore, they are prompted to forsake self-righteousness and strive for God’s righteousness that is by faith. The fact that this righteousness depends on God alone is also stated. What’s more, the author encourages the reader to ask questions.

What I liked most about the book was the author’s emphasis on the need to examine scriptures individually. Further, a lot of time was devoted to laying a concrete foundation for the succeeding chapters. The author also effectively and successfully employed repetition to point out key issues. References were also provided for the scientific facts and historical events that were included in the book. Consequently, it was easier for one to confirm their validity. I also appreciated the fact that the author wrote down most of the scripture quotations she was discussing even after encouraging the reader to look them up personally. This is because one will repeatedly yield to the temptation to skip referring to them when the references alone are provided. There is nothing I did not like about the book.

The book addressed several other fundamental issues like cults. The creativity applied in the dramatization of Noah’s story made the book more enthralling. The language employed was also straightforward which made the book simpler to read. Editing was fairly done since I discovered some grammatical errors in the book. Another significant error I noticed was in the calculation of the days when the Earth was flooded. In one part the author stated the forty days and nights of continuous rainfall were part of the one hundred and fifty days when water covered the Earth. However, these forty days were excluded from the one hundred and fifty days in another calculation. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all readers who would like to learn more about paying attention. It will appeal most to Christians as the discussion centers mainly on being watchful for the second coming of Christ.

Keep On The Watch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Spiritual talks are often very sensitive. I would like to see how effectively the author makes his case. Thanks for the review.

Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading: Let’s Mountain Bike!
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Caribqueen16 »

It is not only about paying attention or keeping the watch, but also obedience to God's word. Noah found favor in God's sight through righteousness which came about through obedience and listening to God. As it was in the beginning so shall it be in the end. The author is very wise to remind us to be watchful and to read prophecies concerning the last days. We can gain a lot of knowledge from this. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D

Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

Probably, I need to pick this book. It seems a great read. How was it like during Noah's times. I'm thinking people were really arrogant of what Noah was saying as a warning. This great review, gives us a glimpse of what the book entails which is presented in a clear manner. Congrats.

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

Sounds interesting... I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the review

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Cry from an Unknown Grave by Joseph LeValley

Post by Prisallen »

I would like to see how the author compare's Noah's days to the days we are currently living in. I can believe there are a lot of similarities. Thanks for your great review!

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

This reminds me of the story of King Saul when God instructed him through Prophet Samuel to destroy the Amalekites thoroughly, but he disobeyed. He listened but didn't obey. It is one thing to listen and another to obey; that is where the blessings dwell. Thanks for your honest review.

bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Personally, I don't think I would love this book so much, but I can see there are some good things to learn about. Wise words in the Bible or ancient books appeal to me so much but I think this book is a little bit too much.

Thank you for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”