Official Review: Expecting the Good by Brigitte Cutshall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Expecting the Good by Brigitte Cutshall

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Expecting the Good" by Brigitte Cutshall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Expecting the Good by Brigitte Cutshall is a biography. After being surprised by the death of her stepfather, she decided to write a book about his life. The first thing the reader will realize is that even though Jean-Luc Nash was a West Point graduate, Special Forces Officer, Army Ranger, and Airborne Commander (among other things), the book focuses more on the behavioral aspect of his personality. Don't expect to see detailed descriptions of military activities: the book is only 150 pages long.

There are countless reports of people who lived with Jean-Luc. In all cases, it is clear that he was a very honorable, disciplined, honest person who loved his country and his family very much. In many situations in his life, he acted with courage and determination. His relationship with family members was also excellent. Even at the end of his life, he was always interested in the education of his grandchildren.

One of the things I liked the most about this book was the fact that the author listened to different people. I'm sure that this is the best approach because it allows us to know several aspects of Jean-Luc's character. As much as we know someone deeply, it is virtually impossible to understand how a specific individual will behave in a wide range of situations. Thus, the testimonies of his military colleagues are quite impressive. The truth is that Jean-Luc became a prominent person wherever he went, and this is evidenced in this biography. At the end of the book, the reader finds out that he has received several military awards, such as Bronze Star for Valor, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, and many others.

I found five errors in the entire book. Therefore, the book can be considered professionally edited. If I were to give Brigitte Cutshall any advice, I would tell her to add more details of Jean Luc's military operations. The way the book was written is very appealing to those who knew him. The target audience is narrow and limited, though. I mean, he was a great human being, but hearing unknown people praising an American military guy is not going to get many people interested in the book. The details of the operations, however, would undoubtedly appeal to more readers.

On the whole, Expecting the Good deserves four out of four stars. It is an exciting, easy-to-read, and fascinating book. Considering that the flaws are not severe, there is no reason to take one star away. I recommend this book to anyone who likes biographies. You don't have to be a big fan of military stuff to enjoy this book that briefly describes the life of a very honorable and noble American.

Expecting the Good
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I like to read biographies. This one seems different than others. I may read this book soon. Great review!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

It is always nice to read about someone who was very honourable. Thanks for this review.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I always have a negative attitude towards books which are built on the foundation of military experiences, because of the jargon often used. However, I'm glad that from your review, I don't have to be well-versed with military life to enjoy this book. Thank you for work well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It sounds like the author had a well-rounded approach when writing about her stepfather Jean-Luc Nash. I'm not so sure it would be one I would enjoy reading though. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I feel like Jean-Luc has left indelible notions about himself on most people. This book will make a good read, I believe. Thanks for reviewing!
Hamdikhalif
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamdikhalif »

This book catches my eye, because I'm from a military background. I believe the story about the grandfather would be a fantastic gift to those whose enjoy anything to do with war, or solders .
Lacoleeishon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lacoleeishon »

I normally read science fiction novels but I really enjoyed this
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Jean-Luc made an impression on many people's lives. Maybe there will be another book highlighting his military accomplishments. This one sounds quite amazing. I enjoyed your summary of the book and appreciate your comment about his concern for his grandchildren. That is quite a reflection on his personality. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I like biographies. You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Jean sounds like an ideal family man. His life is filled with loads of lessons to pick up from. Awesome review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am not sure that I am the target audience for this book, or if I would benefit from reading it, but it does sound like an interesting book about a man who was courageous and thoroughly loved by family and friends. I like that the author added testimonies from his work colleagues---giving readers more detail into his professional life. Thanks for the great review.
Sheetal_22564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

What more to expect than to dedicate something memorable to your lived one. Jean-Luc seems like a guy who is admired by all not just for his achievements but for his valor and candor. I'm not into biographies but I might read this book just because I liked the military background of the main character.
- Sheetal
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

This sounds like a good thing to do after the death of someone. It allows you to discover the person’s life. I appreciate that the author used all different people that knew him to make the biography.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like an interesting book. I enjoy reading biographies and Jean-Luc led an interesting life. I like that the author spoke to a lot of people that knew him

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”