Official Review: Nonie's Star by D Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: Nonie's Star by D Johnson

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nonie's Star" by D Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In our current time, many of us can relate to facing dark circumstances and to being powerless to control the outcome of our situation. In Nonie's Star, by D. Johnson, a mother shares such a story. This story is the tale of her young adult son, Mateo, and how he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, the ongoing battle of walking with him through treatment, and the process of advocating for him when his capacity to function dwindled. This heart-breaking path is hard enough to navigate. However, this mother also shares the many ways her son's care was mishandled in the healthcare system.

The story begins with a mother sitting in her son's bedroom with her son's body, wondering how they had gotten here to this moment, wondering if there was anything she could have done differently that would have kept him alive. We are then taken back to the first signs of Mateo's illness and walked through each stage of his battle. We get an insider's view at how hard it can be to walk with someone who is fighting cancer, from the weariness of the patient to the endless doctor's visits. We see how hard it can be to juggle that person's care with your own work schedule, the difficulties of getting insurance to cover all the needed treatment, and how your loved one's health is at the mercy of the quality of treatment they receive from their healthcare team. The dedication of the book informs us that the names of the characters have been changed, but the story itself is true.

I loved the straightforwardness of this story the most. The author tells this story simply and with such day-to-day detail that I couldn't help but believe the authenticity of the account. This mother's dedication is evident throughout this novel. Anyone who has walked with a loved one through a health ordeal will be able to relate to this mother's struggle. Her compassion for her son challenges me to be just as dedicated to my own family. Also, when she shares the mistakes that healthcare workers made, the narrator does not come across as overly vindictive. She simply states what happened and her confusion and concern about the choices and actions that impacted Mateo's quality of life.

This book did have many editing mistakes, and this is what I liked least about the story. There is nothing else about this novel that I feel needs improvement. I was engaged throughout its pages. My heart is broken for the family that went through this dark time. I admire the author for sharing this family's experiences. I hope that improvements in the healthcare system occur because this young man's tragedy was shared.

I give this story 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting a star due to the editing mistakes. I recommend this story to any adult. This author's purpose is to make people aware of the problems within our healthcare system and to also challenge that healthcare system to improve, so that Mateo's death is not in vain. Therefore, more than anything else, this story cries out to be read by anyone and everyone. However, if you have experienced something similar and you don't wish to relive painful moments, you may not wish to read this book.

Nonie’s Star
View: on Bookshelves
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Authenticity is everything! There is this reading flow that comes with it. Thank you for reviewing thins.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

This book sounds good to me, I can imagine what a mother feels in this situation. But I am not sure about the purpose of this book.
Thank you for your nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”