Official Review: Garden Design Recipes by April Harden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Garden Design Recipes by April Harden

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Garden Design Recipes" by April Harden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gardeners are a unique lot—gladly focusing on a vision and its process, without attachment to the outcome. The end result may not be fully realized for years. April Harden understands this concept and considers gardening to be a valuable exercise of the body and mind, meditative and cathartic.

Inspired by her love of the outdoors and childhood visits to grandma’s garden, April Harden pursued a career as a horticulturist and landscape designer. Harden has taken her decades of gardening wisdom and inserted it into the template of a recipe. She presents this yummy collection in her resource manual, Garden Design Recipes: Design Without the Designer.

The first 30 pages summarize general garden design principles—the technical basics, such as soil testing, budgeting, and mulch calculations. Ninety percent of the book is the recipes—the garden designs. Categories such as “Accent Gardens,” “Perennial Beds,” and “Edible Gardens,” each contain cleverly named individual designs. “Look at My Bloomers” and “Granny’s Pantry” describe a flowering plant design and an herb garden. Each design includes a description, ingredients list, photos, planting instructions, and specifics about the appearance, growth habit, and care needs for each plant. Two useful appendices finish the book: a plant index and a cross-reference to garden names.

Harden’s book was a pleasure to read. A few particularly helpful elements caught my attention. Harden estimates the amount of time to install each garden, which is really helpful information for a weekend gardener. For some important tips, Harden uses “WITI” boxes. These “Why is this important” boxes highlight particularly relevant elements, such as why accurate square footage calculations and soil tests are important.

Many books in this genre depict designs for entire properties or encyclopedias of overwhelming plant details. Harden’s “quick-start guide” includes over 70 garden designs that feel attainable and realistic. Most could be installed in a weekend, allowing for the opportunity to approach garden design in manageable, well-defined chunks.

Hardin includes plan view drawings as well as street-perspective images of the finished designs, compiled from photo images of the individual plants. It’s challenging to picture the eventual finished product, and the author assists with this creatively.

Technically speaking, the book is mixed. While attention was given to the presentation and organization, I found a number of editing errors. They were mostly minor, but they would have been caught by a professional editor.

There is an attractive, tree graphic on each page of the introductory chapters. This graphic makes the superimposed text barely readable. It would help to lighten up this graphic.

The Table of Contents doesn’t include the section of garden designs. Over 250 pages of material are not represented. It would have been useful to have the general sections and categories included to facilitate locating a particular type of design.

Overall, Garden Design Recipes is a beautiful effort. I offer a rating of 3 out of 4 stars for its succinct, detailed information, organization, and creative designs. I’m unable to award a perfect rating due to the editing errors, but without them, the book would earn a perfect score. I think beginning gardeners will appreciate trying some smaller gardens to test their green thumb. I gladly recommend this book to gardeners who like smaller, themed gardens, or phased garden design.

Garden Design Recipes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I for one don't really have a green thumb. I just hope that anything I plant will survive and bloom. I don't think this is really a book for me.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This is right up my garden-loving alley! Thanks for the recommendation!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I love gardening, so this sounds like the perfect addition to my gardening book collection! Thank you for the review!
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I have no interest in gardening yet this still piqued my interest. Good review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I wish I had the time to garden. I tried one last year and didn't realize just how much goes into maintaining them. I'd love to see her ideas for an edible garden. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I have often thought of gardening as meditative... Unfortunately, I don't have a garden so back to the drawing board for me :)
I agree with your thoughts on the front cover. A good designer could fix that up nicely.
Wonderful review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

For those who can garden, and enjoy it I guess this book is beneficial and presents many ideas. A helpful book, and a nice review thanks
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I recently got into aquascaping videos on YouTube, so, to me, this sounds like the terrestrial version of that. I also started gardening, so a resource like this could always be of great use, particularly since it seems designed for those who don't have a whole lot of time.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”