Official Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's...

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton" by Kemmer Anderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson’s Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson is a scholarly book about the ways that the writings of John Milton, particularly the famous poem Paradise Lost, influenced Thomas Jefferson, and, thereby, the Declaration of Independence. The author states in the book’s prologue that: “John Milton and Thomas Jefferson are two seeds in the cross pollination of liberty between England and America.” *

This seems a simple albeit profound premise. Yet the book covers much more territory than the admiration of one respected thinker for another respected thinker’s work. Anderson not only reveals the ways in which works written by John Milton in the mid-1600s influenced English politics during his own time but the ways in which these same works influenced the birth of a new nation more than a century later. The author also reveals the ways in which Milton’s works affected Thomas Jefferson’s personal life.

The page count on this book is brief, but the reader should not assume this to mean that the book is light reading. On the contrary, the book delves deep not only into Jefferson’s politics and the way he utilized the works of an admired thinker from the past to shape the policies of the emerging United States, it also examines problematic issues such as slavery and the relationship between Jefferson and Sally Hemings, his slave, and his late wife’s half-sister.

I am compelled to discuss the various aspects of this wonderful book at length but will leave it to the reader to discover the many treasures it holds. I believe that the book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text.

I unreservedly give Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson’s Reading of John Milton four out of four stars. There was nothing whatsoever that I disliked about the book. I learned many things about two of the world’s great historical thinkers, John Milton and Thomas Jefferson. While it seems obvious after reading the book, I never would have realized just how profound an effect Milton posthumously imparted on the political principles of the United States.

I believe that this book should be required reading in any class covering the early history of the United States. While it lauds Jefferson for his undeniably important contributions to the formation of the United States and the drafting of the document which is at the heart of this country’s political code, it also reveals the flaws of this venerable Founding Father.

I recommend Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson’s Reading of John Milton to anyone who enjoys delving deep into the history of the United States and/or who has an appreciation of the written works of John Milton and Thomas Jefferson. This book is written in plain English, but it is not an easy read. It might be a bit overwhelming to the reader seeking a basic history of the formation of the United States and of its Founding Fathers.

*Anderson, Kemmer. Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson’s Reading of John Milton. Xlibris US. Kindle Edition.

Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I love history, so this book seems to be right up my alley. I don't know much about Milton, and it would be nice to learn more about him and how it affected Jefferson. Thanks for your review.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Just downloaded this one to read. I'm so excited! I love the intersection of history and literature, and your review has made me excited to read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”