Official Review: The Pharmacy At Hails Gate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: The Pharmacy At Hails Gate

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pharmacy At Hails Gate" by Ava Newman-Rafter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pharmacy at Hails Gate by Ava Newman-Rafter is a story containing fictional elements about discrimination in the workplace. The writer focuses on the rivalry between Hispanics and African-Americans, highlighting the discrimination of African-Americans by Hispanics in her gripping story. The author writes from a Christian perspective, offering insights from the Bible in her book. The tone of the book is personal, friendly, and informal, engaging the reader in the story.

The book revolves around a character named Esther, who faces struggles and challenges while working in a pharmaceutical company. Esther is described as a bright young woman that displays kindness and compassion, yet becomes a victim of discrimination in her workplace, as she faces the brutality of racism and prejudice. Esther is in emotional pain and physical distress, which does not allow her to spend quality time with her family. Will Esther break under the pressure of discrimination? Or will she fight back, remaining proud of her identity?

There are numerous positive attributes in this book. Firstly, the book follows a clear, coherent, and logical structure, allowing the reader to fully comprehend the events unfolding in the story. Moreover, the writer utilizes narrative techniques and linguistic devices, thereby adding color to the story, which grasps the reader’s attention. Furthermore, I liked the fact that the writer added verses from the Bible, which can encourage and motivate the readers. I also liked that the writer uses fictional, made-up names, which sound funny, creating a humorous atmosphere in the text. What I liked most in this book was that the author was original and creative, as the story was not boring.

Nonetheless, this book also contained a few negative characteristics. More analytically, the book’s quality is eroded and degraded due to the handful of errors present. Therefore, I think that this book should go through another round of editing.

This book is best suited for female, African-American, and Christian readers that have suffered discrimination. Christians are more likely to enjoy this book, as the author writes from a Christian perspective, including verses from the Bible. Also, African-American women will prefer this book, as they will relate better to the author’s story, relating to Esther’s struggles and challenges.

Consequently, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a higher rating, due to the number of errors it contained. However, a lower rating would have been unfair, as the author has created an engaging and creative book.

The Pharmacy At Hails Gate
View: on Bookshelves
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

It’s unfortunate that there are so many errors; I too hope the book gets some more editing. The premise seems good though, so I might grab this one anyway. Thank you for the review!
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Often atimes I hear about discrimination between the Whites and African Americans, and seldomly about the Hispanics and African Americans. So i am eager to read and see the authors perspective on such. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a new perspective on discrimination. Your review has piqued my curiosity about this societal dilemma. I enjoyed your thoughtful analysis of this book. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”