Official Review: Feng Shui For You by Dr Suzanne G Harper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Feng Shui For You by Dr Suzanne G Harper

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feng Shui For You" by Dr Suzanne G Harper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The practice of rearranging your living area and workspace to create harmony is detailed in the book, Feng Shui For You, written by Suzanne G Harper. My knowledge of the topic was that of a novice, and before reading this, had I been asked what feng shui entailed, I would have ignorantly replied it only meant moving a coffee table or couch. I couldn't have been more misinformed.

This author has set her readers up for success in gaining more insight into what feng shui is and what it is not. I am announcing right now that this isn't a simple, overnight transition. However, this teacher encourages her students as they learn through detailed instructions and beautiful photographs that give the book a calming tone. I found it quite comforting to read this in the opening pages: "If your life is already more or else the way you like it, i.e., you are in a good relationship, your health is good, you like your work 70% of the time, and you are making enough money to live on, you are already in a relatively fortunate position."(page63) This statement was one I thought of often as I progressed through this somewhat complex material.

I think we can all agree that decluttering is a great way to make a person feel better about his or her surroundings. This activity is a first step toward creating good flow. Just pick a space that brings feelings of dissatisfaction and begin ridding oneself of items no longer needed. To make it even more accommodating, she recommends spending only 7 1/2 minutes on this task per day. The author asserts that removing old, unwanted, or worn items is an outward sign of saying goodbye to the past and welcoming in the new. This was one of my favorite parts of the book.

I can't entirely say I disliked some of the other sections, but a lot of it didn't resonate with me. I found myself overwhelmed trying to determine accurate compass measurements, finding the geometric center of my home, and mapping out what is called a Bagua. Feng shui done correctly involves both time and space. I got lost along the way with some of the math coordinates that were required. I had to read over those explanations a few times to fully grasp what was said. The conclusion I came to was that people who offer this service for a living are needed. I don't think a book can fully take the place of a hands-on-expert. She stresses throughout the guide that incorrectly moving or placing objects can have a negative effect. That was enough to stop me in my tracks and evaluate my surroundings and overall happiness. I decided to read the material and leave my space as it is.

Other than the instructions being a bit over my head, the book is formatted to be very reader-friendly. If a person wishes to improve her wealth and finances, for example, the author has hyperlinks that will immediately take a reader to those chapters. At the end of the book, she offers a handy summary of how to proceed through everything from start to finish.

There are a couple of flaws, however, such as two chapters labeled as 6 in the table of contents, and I found more than ten typos, so this resulted in a slight star reduction. I am awarding this 3 out of 4 stars. My copy of the title was EPUB, so I am assuming this author will make the necessary changes to correct the mistakes.

This book would most appeal to those who have an interest in energy and how to work with it to enhance dwellings or office spaces. Some readers who have strong religious beliefs may not appreciate this book's New Age point of view.

Feng Shui For You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I have heard of Feng Shui but never really knew much about it. This book sounds like it would be an insightful way for me to broaden my understanding of it.

Thanks for the great review!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I equally heard of Feng Shui for the first time a few months ago. I became interested in that concept and found that it related to everything from the living room, kitchen, bedroom, office space, and everything in between. However, I ran into the same difficulty as you, not having precise information on the various directions on the compass; east, west, north, and south without which one will be wasting their time. It remains a subject I'm interested in though. Thanks for the informed review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Deprise Evans wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 19:50 I have heard of Feng Shui but never really knew much about it. This book sounds like it would be an insightful way for me to broaden my understanding of it.

Thanks for the great review!
The author does do a great job of explaining. I just didn't quite understand it all at first. But, I guess as we learn new things, this is common. Thank you for taking the time to read my review! I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Nkoo wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 14:56 I equally heard of Feng Shui for the first time a few months ago. I became interested in that concept and found that it related to everything from the living room, kitchen, bedroom, office space, and everything in between. However, I ran into the same difficulty as you, not having precise information on the various directions on the compass; east, west, north, and south without which one will be wasting their time. It remains a subject I'm interested in though. Thanks for the informed review.
I found that I don't have a lot of mirrors in my house, which is a good thing when it comes to this. One of the things she said, though, was where your stove and sink are can have an effect on a relationship in the home...not in a good way if not done right. I was all good there! I think this subject requires small steps. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it! :)
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I did not realize that there were negative consequences of putting things in the wrong place, but I guess that makes sense. I like the idea of only spending 7.5 minutes per day on decluttering—that makes it seem doable! Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

MsH2k wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 19:37 I did not realize that there were negative consequences of putting things in the wrong place, but I guess that makes sense. I like the idea of only spending 7.5 minutes per day on decluttering—that makes it seem doable! Thank you for a great review!
The author gave an example of a person who did that 7 1/2 minute clean up. While it took a few months, that person's space was way nicer than when she started. It gives me hope for some of my less than desirable corners in my home. I didn't realize that a place in the home could be 'wrong' either. She gives many examples of this in the book.

I appreciate you stopping by to read my review. :)
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love the message that the author was trying to pass along, but you had me at "..incorrectly moving or placing objects can have a negative effect." Personally I would not want to think that. Reading the book might have me in over my head, so i'd pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Irene_A wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 10:45 Love the message that the author was trying to pass along, but you had me at "..incorrectly moving or placing objects can have a negative effect." Personally I would not want to think that. Reading the book might have me in over my head, so i'd pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
I added some green bamboo to my bedroom. I only added and didn't move a thing! I didn't want to upset the apple cart. Thanks for reading my review, and I have to say I do love my new plant. At least there is that. It makes me happy to look at how green it is while we are covered in snow where I live! :)
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I had an interest in feng shui but did not know much about it, but your review made me feel that reading a book is probably not the best place to start

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”