Official Review: Letters From Bud by Molly Brandenburg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Letters From Bud by Molly Brandenburg

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters From Bud" by Molly Brandenburg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Letters from Bud, by Molly Brandenburg, is a mixture of letters and diary entries written by Bud Brandenburg, a World War II veteran. This collection was compiled by one of his daughters, Molly, and encompasses Bud’s days of serving as a flight navigator in the 492nd Bomb Group Koltun Crew as well as his adventures during his time working with the Air Transport Command.

In his letters home, Bud describes his missions as he navigates his crew from their target and back. While many of his missions are dangerous, Bud’s insights about the war offer a unique perspective into what life was like for many soldiers during World War II. Also included with Bud’s letters are excerpts from his diary that fill in the gaps and weave together events that happened between his letters home. Other than his missions, Bud also describes what he does in his free time such as riding his bike to various small towns in England or playing tennis with his buddies. Much of Bud’s letters and diary entries describe the people he meets and befriends as well as his flight mates from the 492nd Bomb Group.

The last chapter includes entries from a mission log book written by one of the members of the Koltun crew. These entries include observations of the events that happened during each mission as well as technical details involving the flights, such as the time when the bombs were dropped and the city that was the target. This chapter offers another perspective of the events during the war.

What I liked the most about this book were the photographs interspersed all throughout the book. There are photographs of Bud from his days as a soldier as well as photos of letters, itineraries, and photos with his buddies. Another thing that I liked about this book was the footnotes. They helped to clarify any army slang or gave more information about a person or place. For example, I was not familiar with the various names of USAAF planes, like FW 190 or F-47, so the footnotes helped to clarify what the letters and numbers stood for.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I only noticed one error, but besides that one error, this book is refreshingly clear of errors. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. I would recommend this book to readers who like reading about war stories especially those from World War II.

Letters From Bud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds really interesting. I've only read a handful of books that were a compilation of letters, but they've all been good. I also have an interest in WWII history. Thanks for an informative review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
kadinkins14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by kadinkins14 »

I thought this novel looked interesting but your review sealed the deal for me. I enjoy real accounts of historical events and will be sure to enjoy this one as well. Diaries are fascinating because they do give a glimpse into the day to day events and thoughts of its writer. Pictures are an added bonus! Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Personal letters and diaries open a window to what the soldiers experienced in the war. This book helps one to comprehend what is was like for the men on the ground during the war. Thanks for you great insights on this book.
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Bud's letters and diaries merged as one. Depicted life seen as photos. Good book and information based I would presume. Thank you for the review
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A book with multiple photographs that makes the book likable. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”