Official Review: Praying God's Word by James Ben Frank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Praying God's Word by James Ben Frank

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Praying God's Word" by James Ben Frank.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When it comes to praying, do you ever struggle with concentrating or find yourself at a loss for words? Praying God's Word by James Ben Frank is a scripture-based guide that teaches readers how to achieve a more effective and fulfilling prayer life. Frank is a student of the Timothy Program International Bible College. He acknowledges its founder, Dr. Karl Coke, "...an internationally acclaimed Hebrew scholar and teacher" and credits his teachings for contributing "many thoughts expressed in this book." Frank reminds readers that effective praying requires listening as much as talking and offers simple suggestions for preparing for prayer as well as possible hindrances. He encourages readers to follow Jesus's example by praying scriptures. Citing a multitude of scriptural references from various versions of the Bible, Frank explains the concept of praying "God's Perfect Word" and provides example prayers for a vast range of topics.

The book is 141 pages and includes countless scriptural references. At the beginning of the book, Frank establishes the foundations of prayer and specifically, the effectiveness of praying scriptures. The book's remaining three-quarters are devoted to specific alphabetized issues. I particularly like the organized format of topics, supporting scriptures, and prayer examples.

Readers will appreciate having the appropriate scriptural references at their fingertips for topics, such as anger, grace, healing, justice, peace, and trust. The synopsis and sample for the book are straightforward that it offers a specific method of praying. Overall, the guidance Frank provides will appeal to both novices and more experienced prayer warriors. On the other hand, while many readers will enjoy Frank's approach, others may find his process formulaic.

One aspect that I dislike is that Frank includes "broken marriages" as a hindrance to prayer. The supporting scriptures he uses from 1 Peter about how husbands and wives should treat one another are more suited to married couples. I agree that unforgiveness is a hindrance to prayer but disagree with the generalization that the prayers of divorced Christians will be hindered.

Despite Frank's excessive use of capitalization for emphasis, the book appears to be professionally edited. When too many words are capitalized, it is hard to discern the intended emphasis. However, the errors I noted are randomly capitalized words. Also, the book includes multiple website references with nonfunctional hyperlinks. Overall, I rate Praying God's Word 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to Christian readers who are interested in developing a more fulfilling prayer life.

Praying God's Word
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like something that I might be interested in. Thanks for sharing this informative review.
tsic
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by tsic »

Praying God's Word by James Ben Frank seems like a very informative book on praying effectively. As Jesus said, when we pray we should not heap up empty phrases (Matthew 6:7). Thanks for the review Cecilia. I hope to learn more about prayer from this book as I read it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jaime Lync wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 20:02 This sounds like something that I might be interested in. Thanks for sharing this informative review.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

tsic wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 15:44 Praying God's Word by James Ben Frank seems like a very informative book on praying effectively. As Jesus said, when we pray we should not heap up empty phrases (Matthew 6:7). Thanks for the review Cecilia. I hope to learn more about prayer from this book as I read it.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for your comment.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like that the author encourages readers to follow Jesus's example by praying scriptures. I also question the idea that a divorced persons prayers may not be answered. Thank's for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”