Official Review: Flavours of Australia by Jonette George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Flavours of Australia by Jonette George

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flavours of Australia" by Jonette George.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Flavours of Australia, Jonette George provides a definitive guide to the country's best gourmet dining, bistros, distilleries, and breweries. The book contains recipes ranging from gourmet to exotic that are sure to tantalize the taste buds, such as shiitake mushroom dumplings, frozen salted caramel parfait coffee cake, and grilled octopus. It includes venues by location, a glossary of native ingredients, and an impressive collection of photographs to showcase the outback and its local cuisine.

George describes the cuisine as diverse, challenging to define, and uniquely flavourful. Her passion is contagious, and I cannot imagine a more comprehensive or visually appealing guide. Although I have not had the pleasure of visiting Australia, if the opportunity arises, this is the book I will take with me. When George highlights a restaurant, she doesn't merely mention her favorite entree or dessert from the menu. She shares the background, location, and specific niche of the venue and features contributions from the owners or chefs regarding their philosophy about food sources and sustainability. For instance, Darren Robertson and Mark LaBrooy of Three Blue Ducks state, "With regards to eating, we truly believe that if an ingredient is ethically grown, it just tastes better."

In another segment, George extols Longitude 131°, where diners are treated to dinner and a show: "Nestled among rust-red dunes, the gathering of pavilions raises the notion of outback luxury to rockstar heights" and "celebrates the sunburnt country in all its glory." I only wish I could include the accompanying photograph to illustrate the beauty of the iconic natural setting.

Speaking of photography, the quality is exceptional. I have previously reviewed books with grainy photographs that do little to enhance the book's content. That is certainly not the case here; the vibrant photographs George has selected complement her favorite venues. I especially like the diverse assortment that includes images of delicious culinary delights, impeccably-designed eateries, candid shots of featured chefs, and breathtaking panoramas of natural attractions. Although the photographs are from various sources, I am pleased to note that George includes a section citing photography credits.

While there isn't anything I dislike about the book, portions of the PDF format aren't optimal for viewing due to the page spread. However, I imagine this will cease to be an issue in the published format. The book is professionally edited; I noted a single typo. Likewise, there is one humorous instance of borderline profanity. During a panel discussion, Dan Simms from Melbourne's Revel Global quips, "eighty under 35-year-olds turning up on a Monday night to hear myself and others talk about what's cool in wine? That's what's bloody cool in wine."

It is my pleasure to rate Flavours of Australia 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to foodies, wine and beer connoisseurs, and those interested in traveling to Australia.

Flavours of Australia
View: on Bookshelves
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I didn't know Australian cuisine was quite so diverse. The guide seems to be packed with the kind of information you'd want to know. If I ever do head out to Australia I'll consider dropping the tour and sticking to this book :) Thanks for your great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

La Cabra wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 00:57 I didn't know Australian cuisine was quite so diverse. The guide seems to be packed with the kind of information you'd want to know. If I ever do head out to Australia I'll consider dropping the tour and sticking to this book :) Thanks for your great review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for the excellent review! It has always been a dream of mine to go to Australia and your review of this book makes me want to go even more! I'm sure I will never get there but I can certainly try some of the recipes in the book! I also am excited to see the photographs. I will just visit Australia vicariously through the book and your review! :)
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I'm quite familiar with Australian cuisine and culture, but this book seems like it would still be educational and interesting for me. Thanks for the great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

B Creech wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 11:11 Thanks for the excellent review! It has always been a dream of mine to go to Australia and your review of this book makes me want to go even more! I'm sure I will never get there but I can certainly try some of the recipes in the book! I also am excited to see the photographs. I will just visit Australia vicariously through the book and your review! :)
That's one of the perks of a good book--living vicariously through it's pages! Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Meg98 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 16:59 I'm quite familiar with Australian cuisine and culture, but this book seems like it would still be educational and interesting for me. Thanks for the great review!
As it was mostly new for me, it's good to know that it still has something to offer for readers familiar with the cuisine. Thanks for sharing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy learning more about other cultures as well as good recipes. This sounds perfect. I'm just not sure the recipes would be achievable for me. Still, they'd be worth looking at and salivating over. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

If I ever get the chance to travel to Australia, I too will use this book as a guide. This is a great review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 18:59 I do enjoy learning more about other cultures as well as good recipes. This sounds perfect. I'm just not sure the recipes would be achievable for me. Still, they'd be worth looking at and salivating over. Thanks.
I know just what you mean about the recipes--there are some I wouldn't tackle but others I might give a try. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wamakima wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 02:21 If I ever get the chance to travel to Australia, I too will use this book as a guide. This is a great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

This made me hungry. It all sounds delicious and makes me want to go to Australia. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

tristenb wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 20:43 This made me hungry. It all sounds delicious and makes me want to go to Australia. Thanks for the review!
You sound like me--I always get hungry when I see appetizing photos or shows about food. You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Why do we find Australia so intriguing?? I love your descriptions of the recipes, restaurants and the photos. This book is motivating me to have an Outback Party with friends! Thanks for the amazing review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 17:11 Why do we find Australia so intriguing?? I love your descriptions of the recipes, restaurants and the photos. This book is motivating me to have an Outback Party with friends! Thanks for the amazing review!
I love your party idea! I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”