Official Review: Beloved of my heart by Nukunu Larsen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Beloved of my heart by Nukunu Larsen

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beloved of my heart" by Nukunu Larsen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“This book is about being quiet, so something that has always existed will become obvious.” -Nukunu

Nukunu’s spiritual awakening happened while he was sipping his morning coffee. He had searched the globe for truth and meaning, and this was, for whatever reason, the auspicious moment that brought it all together. Beloved of My Heart: Nukunu’s Personal Journey, chronicles over 60 years of the author’s profound quest for fulfillment.

Born in Denmark in 1947, Nukunu was raised by an invisible mother and an abusive, tyrannical father. The abuse left him with tremendous anger, which became the catalyst for the therapeutic work that would eventually free him from the past and become his life's work.

Nukunu came of age in the 60s with The Beatles, Vietnam, hashish, and the self-realization revolution. People were experimenting with “finding themselves” through Gestalt and encounter therapies, sexual experimentation, and spiritual practices. For nearly three decades, Nukunu immersed himself in the teachings of numerous gurus and spiritual teachers, including Osho, Papaji and Hans Raj Maharajji. The detailed accounts of his experiences are vulnerable and reveal the depth of his commitment to spiritual fulfillment.

Concurrently, Nukunu was obtaining a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and a master’s in psychology, the preparation for his next 30 years working as a therapist and teacher. Since his awakening in 1995, Nukunu has devoted his life to teaching others the way to freedom through non-dual therapy.

The author does a nice job of leading the reader through the mostly intangible nature of his personal and spiritual evolution. Conveyed in first-person, Nukunu’s voice is engaging and vulnerable. I was drawn in by his sometimes radical and controversial journey, traversing several continents, exploring personal, spiritual, and sexual boundaries.

Nukunu effectively uses imagery to characterize concepts such as the quest for enlightenment. Pursuing enlightenment, he says, is like trying to reach the horizon; moving toward it does not bring it any closer. He describes waking life as a dream. Each of us is a dream character, and the dreamer—the true Self—is all that’s real.

The book would have benefitted from professional editing. It contains quite a few errors, including chronic missing or misplaced commas as well as conjugation and article problems.

I liked the book very much, despite the errors. The editing problems prevent me from awarding a perfect rating, so I offer Beloved of My Heart 3 out of 4 stars for the impressive volume of experiences, vulnerability, and fiction-like appeal.

I recommend the book to anyone curious about non-dual thought, Transpersonal Psychology, or mystical spiritual teachings. Readers familiar with world spiritual teachings will recognize many of the people, places, and practices. If you have more traditional beliefs and are curious about spiritual awakening, you won’t often see a more informative or compelling overview. As nonfiction adventures go, this is a gem. You may come away with more questions than answers, but that's the nature of spiritual seeking - and if you're like me, you’ll enjoy pondering whether life is, in fact, but a dream.

Beloved of my heart
View: on Bookshelves
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Your review has left me intrigued - great job! Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one is definitely too spiritual for me. Plus, I don't read many biographies anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed this in spite of it not being edited. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Spiritual journey matters from person to person, the author's journey is unique, but sometimes I cannot grasp some points maybe because we have different sets of believe. Thanks for the review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Spiritual books aren't generally ones I go for, but I really like the story behind this one and it seems very intriguing. I might just check it out! Thanks for the great review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Wow. I am glad that you enjoyed the book despite the errors. I have enjoyed reading your review. It was almost as if I was reading the book. I want to read it mostly because he has knowledge in philosophy and psychology.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Y0landa wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 17:59 Your review has left me intrigued - great job! Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!
Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:16 This one is definitely too spiritual for me. Plus, I don't read many biographies anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed this in spite of it not being edited. Thanks for your thoughts.
I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this one, but I did. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

jeminah28 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:27 Spiritual journey matters from person to person, the author's journey is unique, but sometimes I cannot grasp some points maybe because we have different sets of believe. Thanks for the review.
Yes, language sometimes can't adequately describe spiritual concepts. Thank you for checking out the review and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Meg98 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 20:43 Spiritual books aren't generally ones I go for, but I really like the story behind this one and it seems very intriguing. I might just check it out! Thanks for the great review.
It really is a bit like a novel. Great stories. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Wamakima wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 03:22 Wow. I am glad that you enjoyed the book despite the errors. I have enjoyed reading your review. It was almost as if I was reading the book. I want to read it mostly because he has knowledge in philosophy and psychology.
I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I enjoy spiritual books of this type - they really help to divert my mind away from my worries. Many thanks for your excellent review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 16:56 I enjoy spiritual books of this type - they really help to divert my mind away from my worries. Many thanks for your excellent review.
This one is a bit of an adventure. Feels like 3 lifetimes worth of experience. Thanks so much for dropping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

The only spiritual books I've ever read have been religious ones that I could follow up on with research. This seems a bit too personal-view based, anecdotal for my taste, if that makes sense.
I do love biographies actually, but not the spiritual kind.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Hmmm...this sounds interesting. I'm curious to see what he learned through all of this. Perhaps, reading it would encourage someone to think a little differently. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”