Official Review: A journey to Understanding Race in America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: It Is What It Is by Stephanie White

Official Review: A journey to Understanding Race in America

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A journey to Understanding Race in America" by Jim Trebbien.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"As I listened to him, it affirmed in my mind that I had been in trouble with the law way more than he and his friends. This was not because I had done worse things. I had, in fact, done things that were similar to what he had done. However, while his offenses were overlooked, mine were relentlessly punished. I realized this was because he was white and because I was black."

The above quote illustrates the conclusion of both Cameron Johnson and Jim Trebbien after they became friends through a college mentoring program. Despite their differences in age and race, the two men soon realize that they share some remarkable commonalities. However, the difference in their paths and consequences are black and white, literally. In A Journey to Understanding Race in America: A Story of Friendship, Trebbien shares stories from the lives of both men that provide a firsthand glimpse of prejudice based on race.

While much of the book compares and contrasts the two men's backgrounds and experiences, I particularly like the sections that focus on their seemingly unlikely friendship. Despite being paired as mentors, both men admit their initial reservations about meeting but willingly put aside their doubts. As a result, they discover that their Christian faith is not the only thing they share in common. For instance, both men are happily married to their second wives after being falsely accused of domestic violence during their first marriages. The allegations against Jim, a "white kid from the 1960s," ended after being questioned by the police. Unfortunately, the allegations against Cameron, an "African-American kid from the 2000s," resulted in a felony conviction.

I also appreciate Cameron's enlightening perspective regarding "Officer Friendly," his term for those who seem polite but have an unfriendly agenda and mindset. Trebbien encourages readers to evaluate their intentions and to "really listen."

On the other hand, I dislike the repetitious content in the 140-page book. There are several times when the same sentence is repeated in a chapter. Although there are few grammatical errors, there are instances when Trebbien's writing seems choppy due to the constant jumping back and forth from the past to the present. Overall, the book needs another round of editing.

For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the editing issues, Trebbien's account of his and Cameron's similar life choices with very different results is a compelling read. For readers who consider "hell" borderline profanity, I will note the word is used twice; otherwise, there is no profanity. I recommend the book to readers interested in a personal perspective of race and ethnic studies. It will also appeal to those who appreciate stories about friendship.

A journey to Understanding Race in America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Fulfillment
Bookshelf Size: 475
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

There are times where I wish we were all born color blind and can only see what is in each others hearts. I look forward to reading how two men from different ages and skin color cultivated a long-lasting and genuine friendship. Thank you for the insightful review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Chrystal Oaks wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 15:27
There are times where I wish we were all born color blind and can only see what is in each others hearts. I look forward to reading how two men from different ages and skin color cultivated a long-lasting and genuine friendship. Thank you for the insightful review!
Thanks for sharing, Chrystal. I appreciate your comment.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a really interesting read from interesting perspectives. I’m not sure about the repetition you mentioned and whether that would bother me, but I think I would still like to read this one. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Meg98 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 10:09
This sounds like a really interesting read from interesting perspectives. I’m not sure about the repetition you mentioned and whether that would bother me, but I think I would still like to read this one. Thanks for this great review!
Thanks for your comment, Meg.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Like Saving Summer in a Jar
Bookshelf Size: 415
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Post by kdstrack »

I like that this is told in story form. The title makes it appear that this is a nonfiction work! Sometimes a well-told story can make a stronger impact that a list of facts and figures. I enjoyed your review! Thanks, Cecilia.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Cambrian Ocean World
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Last of the Californios by Howard R Holter
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think this is needed. As someone of colour who lives outside of the U.S., often the kinds of things I see in international news and television makes it difficult for me to understand why people think that things are okay now. That being said, that there are those willing to listen and understand gives me a lot of hope.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”