Official Review: Tormented by God by mirko integlia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Tormented by God by mirko integlia

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tormented by God" by mirko integlia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Tormented by God: The Mystic Nihilism of Emil Cioran, Mirko Integlia presents an in-depth study of French-Romanian philosopher Emil Cioran’s work, especially his stance on God and religion. The author offers readers a fascinating glimpse into the restless mind of this prolific thinker, born in 1911. His tormented nature gets exemplified by the following quote: “I am of a deeply unbelieving and deeply religious nature: a man without certainties…”

The author begins by analyzing Cioran’s formative years, between World War I and World War II, when he was a young student at the University of Bucharest. Cioran moved to Berlin in 1933, and in 1937 he settled definitively in Paris. At the time, there was a general climate of disenchantment in Europe. An anti-rationalist, pessimistic sentiment opposed the ideals of Enlightenment and rationalism. The author correlates the pervasive nihilistic spirit of Cioran’s first book, On the Heights of Despair, published when he was just 23, with that of other writers such as Sartre and Camus. He argues that Cioran was a predecessor of French existentialism.

In my opinion, the best feature of this scholarly title is the dissection of Cioran’s religiosity. I appreciated the way the author argues that mysticism was the flip side of Cioran’s nihilistic viewpoints, and his traumatic experience with insomnia factored in. What begins as an academic review of the philosopher’s works turns into a far richer exploration of his leanings towards gnostic mysticism and even Buddhism. But this aspect is not overwhelming enough to alienate an open-minded Christian reader.

I liked how the author left no stone unturned. He courageously and soberly explored Cioran’s affinity with Nazism. Integlia outlines how the anti-Jewish sentiment was common among European university students, and anti-Semitism was a religious facet of the nationalistic movement. I was glad to see that, after World War II, Cioran considered the ideas he previously expressed about Jews to be unacceptable.

Above all, I enjoyed the description of Cioran’s love for music, particularly Bach. The philosopher felt that he could conceive the existence of God as he listened to Bach’s Goldberg Variations: “Sun everywhere. In the Luxembourg gardens, I closed my eyes and let myself go to the echo elicited in me by this 'superessential' music (to speak like a mystic).”

In closing, I rate Tormented by God: The Mystic Nihilism of Emil Cioran 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked about it. The book looks professionally edited – I only found a couple of minor mishaps. It will surely appeal to readers who are fond of philosophy. If you feel disenchanted by the current sociopolitical outlook, you might relate to the discussion. Be warned that the themes are rather dark, especially concerning suicidal ideation. For this reason, I don’t believe it’s an adequate read for teenagers.

Tormented by God
View: on Bookshelves
nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana7613.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 »

Thanks for your review. I've forgotten how interesting philosophical books can be. Unfortunately, it is unavailable for purchase. So disappointed!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While this is not really my type of book, you did a wonderful job of summarizing it and offering your insights. Thanks for the informative review!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

nanabanana7613 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 09:28 Thanks for your review. I've forgotten how interesting philosophical books can be. Unfortunately, it is unavailable for purchase. So disappointed!
This one is quite interesting, indeed. Thanks for reading and commenting.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 10:57 While this is not really my type of book, you did a wonderful job of summarizing it and offering your insights. Thanks for the informative review!
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My love for music is akin to Cioran's. I do believe you can glimpse God through music. In spite of that, this book is too academic for me. I wouldn't enjoy it. Glad you did, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gaby+LysMom2KB
Currently Reading: Sink Reflections
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaby-lysmom2kb.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Gaby+LysMom2KB »

Although you did a great review, I don't think this book would be a great read for me. It was nice that you were specific about who would or would not enjoy it. I'm not crazy about classical music, but I do agree about music's ability to pull a person closer to an enhanced state of mind. Meditative type music can bring me closer to God, the Source.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”