Official Review: Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss M...

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss Management" by Mack Stout.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss Management by Mack Stout is the author’s work-related memoir. He has been working in the corporate world for most of his adult life. During this time, he has encountered the usual office discrimination, bullying, and harassment that anyone with a boss and colleagues has faced.

Mack’s situation is not unique, but it highlights the main issues often over-qualified employees reaching that critical age encounter: the threat of being made redundant and the fear of not finding something else of equal pay to keep food on the table. While reading the book, I remembered how much I used to hate working for entitled and petty managers on power trips. It comes to no surprise that many people nowadays are switching to freelancing. It might not come with health insurance and other main benefits, but for anyone who has experienced arrogant bosses and incompetent colleagues, this is an option that gives a person peace of mind and the ability to work undisturbed from home.

I found the book engaging, and I enjoyed reading about the author’s adventures at work. Many corporate employees who are unhappy about their circumstances will feel the writer’s pain. Some might even chuckle at the various comical or annoying anecdotes mentioned throughout the pages. For example, when Miss Fyre got fired, everyone in the office that day was walking on eggshells just to avoid a similar fate. Another example that made me chuckle was when Mack wanted to get transferred to another department. When it finally happened, he realized that his life under his previous manager, Ana, had been much better than under the new department’s manager, Talia. The author even mentioned, “be careful what you wish for, because you might get it.”

One point I need to make is regarding the names of people the author met over the years. I understand that he wanted to protect their identities; however, I felt there was no need for 45 names to be distorted like in the following examples: “not this person’s real name but you could rearrange the letters in his real name to spell ‘heil transgender ice jug’” (I actually cringed at this specific example), or “This is not his real name, although the letters in his real name could be rearranged to spell ’Photon Bombs’.”

The book is, otherwise, reasonably well written. The author’s sense of humor and sarcasm show through the pages, and his disdain for incompetent colleagues and bosses is evident. Nevertheless, some sentences need tweaking to work better, repetitions could be removed to make the story tighter, and the 40+ parentheses involving names should be erased or at least moved to the Footnotes section.

Overall, I award Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss Management 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people who are working 9-5 jobs and are looking to make a career change. Reading about the author’s struggles might give them a fresh perspective on the issues they are facing every day. If you’re working in a corporate environment, you can relate to most of what the author has been going through at work over the years.

Gold Diggers, Bean Counters & Miss Management
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't work in a corporate environment, but the book seems like a fun read judging by your review. I might read just for laughs. Thanks for the detailed information.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I could never work in a corporate setting; for the reasons that you mention! This does sound quite entertaining, though! Thanks for the wonderful review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I recently started working in an office environment. I think this would be a good addition to my reading list now. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Ugh, I cringed so hard while reading the part with the names. It seems like it might be an interesting book, I am honestly not sure I would read it though. At least I enjoyed your review!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'm not sure I'd like this book. I work for a large corporation and there's times I like it and times I don't. Your close colleagues can make or break you.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"Gold Diggers, Bean Counters and Miss Management" by Mack Stout.This is the author's work related memoir.He has been working in the corporate world for most of his adult life.The author stresses that an enabling environment is very important for a corporate body.During his office life, the author has faced or encountered diverse problems.The main problem being discrimination, bullying,and harassment.He further says that the rude and arrogant behavior of your boss further aggravates the situation against the employee.In this situation working becomes very difficult and it hampers ones' productivity in the corporate sector.You can make them productive by team work or by encouraging them to achieve the organisational goals, other wise staff leave the jobs in such a situation and switch over over to freelancing.so incompetent staff should be replaced by competent one
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Freelancing is a difficult position to take. You are your own boss and need to be self-motivated to keep picking up new jobs. Working in the corporate world is no picnic, either. I'm glad the author was able to view his work situation with a bit of humor. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”