Official Review: Dreaming at the Gates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Dreaming at the Gates

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreaming at the Gates" by Kathryn Ridall PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through our dreams, we can communicate with our higher selves. Dreams can give us warnings, messages, premonitions, and even provide a glimpse into our past lives. Dreams can also help us to unlock our true potential. Through our dreams, we can also communicate with other beings. Dreaming at the Gates by Kathryn Ridall, PhD., is a fascinating book about deciphering the meaning of our dreams. Real examples of healing dreams, recurring dreams, nightmares, and life-changing dreams are explored. The experiences of Carl Jung and Jane Roberts provide intriguing insights into understanding the unconscious dream state.

Anyone who wants to begin unlocking the meaning of their dreams will find that this book not only provides valuable explanations on the subject, but it also gives examples. This was what I liked most in the book. For instance, one woman dreamed about her illness and was able to correct her treatment before the disease worsened. Another woman was able to confront her repressed childhood trauma through her dreams. Reading these personal examples helped me to understand how dreams are linked to events in our real lives. The examples of people’s life-changing dreams or ‘big dreams’ (as they are called in the book) were also fascinating to read about. I marveled at how dreams can ultimately help people find their life’s purpose. This concept resonated with me a lot because a couple of months ago I had a dream where I was working in a foreign place and strangely enough, I received a job offer in another country that same week. Because of this dream, I felt supported in taking the offer.

I appreciated the dream theories and historical details that supported the existence of multiple dimensions and otherworldly beings. I was both enthralled and afraid of Seth, an otherworldly entity who was channeled by Jane Roberts, a psychic medium. Reading about how dreams prepared people for death was also thought-provoking. Immediately, I began to think about my own dreams and those which my loved ones had right before they died. I distinctly remember my grandmother talking about a dream where she was embarking on a train journey with other deceased relatives. She died a week after this. Somehow, our soul already knows when death is coming and begins to prepare us for it through dreams. This concept is quite astounding! The origins of Asklepian Dream Incubation, an ancient Greek method of dream healing made me realize how important dreams were to the past generations.

The author included questions for the reader after each chapter. These questions allowed me to remember some of my big dreams, and I began to better understand their meanings. I am grateful to the author for including them. Despite my overall enjoyment of the book, I think that more information about different cultures and dream symbolism could have been included because this is a really captivating topic.

There were a few errors in the book, but they did not detract from my reading experience. I am pleased to award Dreaming at the Gates 4 out of 4 stars for its insightful explanations and examples, and for taking me on a journey to discover the meaning of dreams. I would recommend this to anyone who wants greater clarity on their dreams’ meanings. People who are interested in beginning a dream journal or forming a dream group will also benefit from reading this book.

Dreaming at the Gates
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I remember very few of my dreams, but those that seem to have a significant meaning usually occur more than once. I agree with your review about more providing more information from different cultures. I am sure that they not only view dreams differently, but they also would interpret the dreams differently. Looks like an interesting read that I may have to look into.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thank you for your review. I am also a dreamer. I keep a journal now, but I wish I had started keeping one earlier. There is great reward in looking for the meaning in our dreams.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"Dreaming at the Gate" by Kathryn Ridall PhD.The author describes dreams and considers that dreams are important.Dreams can give us messages, warnings, messages, premonitions or even provides a glimpse in to our past lives.Dreams can also help us to unleash our true potentials.Dreams at the Gates is a fascinating book.Here it is important to say that in different culture of the world the concept of dreams may also be different according to that text and context.Those who want to unleash the meaning of their dreams, they would find this book useful.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Dreaming at the Gates sounds like an insightful book for those wanting to understand the meanings of their dreams. I hope the author takes your suggestion and adds information on dream symbols and other cultures. This is an interesting topic. Thank you for the recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I definitely would be interested in reading this novel! I really need to keep a dream journal that way I can remember more of what happened and reflect on it. That's interesting that you had that dream and then received a job offer!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I have the same experience with dreams as the author. I'm not sure I agree with his perspective either. Nonetheless, it sounds well-researched. I'll pass, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I totally believe that dreams can and do take us to another dimension. Maybe a past birth, or way past in our childhood. The things that we consciously repress when we are awake often haunt us in our dreams. This sounds like a book worth checking out. Thanks for a detailed review of the book.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a really captivating and unique book, and definitely something I would be interested in. I will check this one out! Thanks for this excellent review. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I find it hard to get past the explanation that our dreams are just a collection of random images or scenes, caused by our sleeping brain processing stuff we have recently been thinking about. Or maybe different people dream in different ways.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I had gotten interested in trying to deciphering dreams after reading some of Freud’s theories. The way dreams seem to have been used in the book look a bit scary to me. Nevertheless, I that intrigues me. I would like to give the book a try.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”