Official Review: Breathing New Life by Bunny Leach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: Breathing New Life by Bunny Leach

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breathing New Life" by Bunny Leach.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Don't frown because it's over. Smile because it happened." This is the quote that brought tears to my eyes as I read it in Bunny Leach's book, Breathing New Life: Finding Happiness After Tragedy. This is a very heartwarming and bittersweet story of regaining love and inner strength after a tragic loss.

Bunny Leach tells the tragic story of losing her daughter, Nicki, to brain cancer. Nicki was only nineteen, and she was extremely close to her mother during the years of her life. The beginning of the book tells briefly about Nicki's death, and the author then goes back to tell a little bit about Nicki's life before death. She described the time that she began to be sick, and then continued to describe the experiences of their family over the next few years, as they dealt with Nicki's sickness. The remainder of the book covers how Bunny has coped after Nicki's death and how she has been renewed in her spirit over time. This book is not the first that Bunny has written on this subject. Before this book, she wrote Letting Nicki Go: A Mother's Journey Through Her Daughter's Cancer.

There are so many bittersweet events and experiences that Bunny has described in Breathing New Life. Her description of her daughter's short life and the many lives that she impacted was very touching to read about. It was very hard to read about everything that Bunny had to deal with, including divorce, during the time of her daughter's death. However, many people were able to help Bunny heal over the years that followed. She took on a new career, formed new relationships, and even started a foundation in Nicki's name which would help provide funds for others battling cancer. She gave credit to many loved ones, especially God, for her journey toward healing. I cannot adequately describe how the author was able to put these experiences into words, but it was very heartwarming and will bring tears to any mother's eyes.

I cannot find too many negative words to say about the book. At times, I felt like the chapters would jump back and forth between dates, describing what happened before Nicki's death, then after, then later jumping back to things before. I don't think this affected the overall quality and emotions of what was written, though. I only noticed a few very tiny editing mistakes, also.

I thoroughly felt like Ms. Leach did a wonderful job of conveying her feelings and emotions through this very tough journey that she faced. As a mother, it is very obvious that finding healing in a situation like this takes time, and while the hurt will never completely subside, life can be restored within a person's soul, regardless of the pain that they have faced. I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. Overall, it is a very emotional and moving description of loss and healing.

Breathing New Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Breathing New Life: Finding Happiness after Tragedy by Bunny Leach.The book is replete with suffering, tragedies.Bunny tells us the tragic story of losing her daughter,Nicki, to brain cancer which caused her death.How a mother feels this unexplainable tragic and tragedy only can be felt really by her and no one can feel and face it in the same way as a mother feels it.These are bittersweet times that Bunny has described.This story is really a heartwarming and bittersweet story of regaining love and inner strength after a tragic life.By telling this tragic story, Leach did a wonderful job by expressing her feelings and emotions through this very tough and sad journey.Now the only solution is to forget it through patience and perseverance, and other way out.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Although you don't say so, I assume this is a non-fiction book. The emotion you are describing sounds too intense to be made up. Our family recently lost a member to cancer, and the grief counselors suggested journalizing as an aid to recovery. Thanks for the review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I can't imagine losing a child. I am sure that it is a very difficult and painful experience and writing about it provides a form of healing. This book is probably too sad for me to thoroughly enjoy. I realize that the moral of the story can apply to many situations. We all need to find ways to get through difficult times, but I think I will skip reading this book. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This would be an emotional and heartbreaking book. I'm not sure I could handle it. I'm glad the author could tell this story, but it's not for me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a heart-wrenching story for sure. I love the quote you introduced with as well. I think I will check this one out! Thanks for this excellent review. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with some of the other comments that this would be overwhelming to read. The author can write vividly since her words are based on personal experience. This is a good tome to recommend the others who are experiencing what Bunny writes about. Thanks for this moving review.
Sayano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sayano »

There are so many bittersweet events and experiences that Bunny has described in Breathing New Life. Her description of her daughter's short life and the many lives that she impacted was very touching to read about. It was very hard to read about everything that Bunny had to deal with, including divorce, during the time of her daughter's death....
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Responding to the reviews like this, is not really not that easy. But what people really can do is to always pray to overcome all of the trials and challenges of life. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”