Official Review: Nothing Special - Just A Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: Nothing Special - Just A Life

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nothing Special - Just A Life" by John E Budzinski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nothing Special - Just a Life by John E. Budzinski is a memoir. This personal history is a collection of stories, thoughts and ponderings on the nature of life and how to summarize one’s life experiences. As a 60-something American man, the goal of this book is to come up with an epitaph for the author’s future gravestone and to work on preparing his eulogy. However, Mr. Budzinski plans to live to 135, so this work is well in advance of its necessity!

Mr. Budzinski had many different jobs throughout his life. I believe his most recent job was as a column writer in a local newspaper. John brings his humorous, thought-provoking and answer-seeking style to this memoir. He includes some of his past articles in this book and refers to others. He writes in a friendly, conversational style.

I enjoyed the tone and honesty of this book. The stories that were included were very interesting and at times entertaining. There were stories of John’s childhood, some that were fairly recent and many others along the way. I liked the thoughtfulness with which each story and each character within it were presented.

I took delight in the many “one-liners” that John came up with as potential epitaphs to write on his or his readers’ gravestones. Some were quite humorous and many were quite apt. They did a really good job of summarizing the ideas and thoughts that John wrote about. They shared the author’s take on how we react to the many things that happen during our lives. Lastly, as a Canadian, I truly appreciated the reference to Bruce Cockburn!

While I enjoyed the description of the premise of the book and the author’s thoughts about writing the book along the way, I would have preferred a bit less of this and more of the life stories. Sometimes the stories can speak for themselves! I felt that the introduction was too long and that the premise of “just a life” was discussed too many times. I like that the theme was referred back to. I would just like it to have been referred to a lot less!

I was also a bit disappointed that some stories were just barely, vaguely mentioned near the end of the memoir. I understand that some things may be too personal to add into the book but a more informative label or description of the stories would have been enough to satisfy my curiosity while still being respectful of the author.

I give Nothing Special - Just a Life by John E. Budzinski 3 out of 4 stars. I appreciated the stories within this memoir, and I wish that there were more of them. I also liked the commentary but would have like less repetition. This book still has minor grammar/typo errors and I feel that it could use a final professional edit to reduce some of the repetition and add a bit more cohesion. This memoir has a slower, thoughtful pace. I recommend it to people who enjoy learning about others and hearing their stories. This is not a book for readers that are looking for action-packed adventure novels.

Nothing Special - Just A Life
View: on Bookshelves
peace starts with a smile...
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I love memoirs and I'm sure can enjoy reading this one. Your review is great.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Memoirs are a nice break from fast-paced action novels and this one sound like it includes some interesting thoughts from the author. Thanks for sharing a great review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love memoirs. But I do get frustrated when people decide they are going to write a memoir but then decide to reference stories that they are not willing to share. I get wanting to keep some things personal, but don't reference them.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the stories are entertaining and that the author plans to live until 135! How fabulous. I want some tips on how he plans to do that! Still, memoirs aren't my usual genre. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Memoirs are always great. This one sounds amazing and I can relate the experiences, particularly the most recent ones described in the book to my life. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like listening to others and learning their stories. I am not sure about someone writing their own epitaph though. I guess he wouldn't want something strange said about him. Thanks for the review!
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I have always loved books that discuss struggles and serious issues, but have a light-hearted tone nonetheless, making me relate to it more. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”