Official Review: Sherlock and I Return The presentation o...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Sherlock and I Return The presentation o...

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sherlock and I Return The presentation of Additional Medical Mysteries" by Dr. Frederick Kassis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Frederick Kassis has been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since the age of seven. He has always admired the character for his intelligence, meticulousness, and investigative skills. The physician first wrote a book titled Sherlock and I: A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice that was much appreciated by readers. Hence, he decided to write a sequel to it. In Sherlock and I Return, he continues unraveling medical mysteries that complicate diagnosis and leave most doctors perplexed. I enjoyed reading this publication and felt nostalgic about the past when I was studying in medical college and working in hospitals to gain practical experience. More than 25 years have passed, but my memory of serving as a resident, for three years, is still vivid. Such ventures cannot be forgotten by any doctor. I can easily relate with the author as he recollects prominent features of his training that helped him to achieve excellence in the medical profession.

When I first saw this book, I thought it was an entertaining novel in a healthcare setting. Indeed, it is very entertaining, but it could also be informative for doctors, nurses, and patients. Some of the stories made me laugh, whereas others brought tears to my eyes. Not only does Dr. Kassis share about unique patients he encountered in emergency rooms and intensive care units but also about patients in clinical practice who suffered from rare diseases. Despite postgraduate studies in internal medicine, he turned down a fellowship in cardiology. He liked the suspense involved in meeting patients with a variety of problems and has four decades of professional experience.

What I liked most in this memoir is that the physician has maintained a habit of reading and updating himself regarding developments that improve diagnosis and treatment. In my opinion, he possesses a sharp and photographic memory that helps him to correlate textbook knowledge with the signs and symptoms found in patients with rare disorders and syndromes. Readers of Sherlock and I Return will realize that history-taking is necessary for diagnosis. I appreciate Dr. Kassis’ advice that expertise in treatment could be of little help to patients if doctors miss significant aspects of their past and family history or fail in the diagnosis.

The author feels that he was privileged to work 72-hour shifts as a resident in hospitals when he was young. This helped him to maintain continuous contact with patients and learn a lot, despite the lack of sleep. I agree with him because my experience of such shifts helped me to attend to patients during emergencies even after I stopped working in hospitals. It taught me to be alert and sense any sign of distress in people around me. It also helped me to build a good rapport with patients and their families.

In this book, Dr. Kassis reports interesting stories of medical mysteries. I don’t wish to spoil the read by giving out any details. After careful and critical analysis of the contents, I am happy to give Sherlock and I Return a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is nothing that I disliked about the memoir. The text seems to be well edited. I did not give a lower rating because of its uniqueness and excellence. It may appeal to medical students, doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel. Patients may also be interested in knowing how physicians diagnose and treat them.

Sherlock and I Return The presentation of Additional Medical Mysteries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This sounds like a captivating book. The book explores interesting stories of medical mysteries; thus would be a great read for people who are interested in medical and health matters. Thank you for the insightful review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Healt-related books interest me, I believe health is the most important ingredient for a happy life.
I hope the author kept medical lingo to a minimum?
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I spent a decade working in healthcare. This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading very much. Diagnosing patients is so important to getting the right treatment, and for patients with rare diseases, especially if they are in more rural settings, that can be the most challenging part of their care.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree, from the comments in your review, that this book might be targeted to a specific audience. Your review was enjoyable to read. Thanks!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Interesting book. It would be helpful if every one should have copy of this. I hope I can find time to read this book. Nice review. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”