Official Review: Cutted Chicken in Shanghai

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Cutted Chicken in Shanghai

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cutted Chicken in Shanghai" by Sharon Winters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cutted Chicken in Shanghai by Sharon Winters is a memoir describing a two-year-long period of time in the late 1990s during which Sharon and her husband lived in China. Sharon prepared for the trip, which was instigated by a job transfer for her husband, by studying Mandarin in the United States prior to their departure. Her lessons continued once they were living in Shanghai. Since her husband, Martin, worked long hours, Sharon was assigned a driver and chaperone named Jin, who assisted her through most of her interactions. With the daily practice that came from conversing with him, Sharon also made great strides in her grasp of the language, and often surprised the Chinese locals with her ability to carry on a conversation in Mandarin.

Despite her impressive language skills, there were many cultural differences for which Sharon was not prepared, and her social blunders resulted in humbling and sometimes hilarious exchanges. The book is written in journal format, so the daily routines and discoveries she made along the way are described in great detail. Grocery shopping, for example, is often a challenge - not only are the measurements on the metric system, but Sharon runs the risk of being overcharged, or accidentally purchasing something she has no appetite for. There are many humorous stories embedded within the book, such as a time when she inadvertently ate a piece of pig brain, or another time she was taught how to walk like a Chinese woman… by a Chinese man!

This account of life as an expatriate in China is full of fascinating cultural information, as well as lessons that can be applied to travel and life in other foreign countries. Despite her humble and self-deprecating tone, the author expertly navigates the nuances of interacting with people from a vastly different political environment, and displays a sensitivity to the social issues they may face. She describes the censorship and surveillance that are a part of daily life in China, and the interest with which Chinese citizens regard her ability to vote for political leaders, but steers clear of any direct commentary on a culture in which she is just a visitor. Despite their vastly different backgrounds, Ms. Winters is able to communicate with the locals with an openness and warmth, and it is clear that her hosts consider her a gracious guest.

I very much enjoyed learning about Chinese culture through the lens of a Western visitor, and I could imagine myself encountering many of the same confusing and humbling situations if I were to travel there. Though the stories are a bit dated, since the events occurred approximately 20 years ago, it is nonetheless a rich and telling account.

My only hangup is that I noticed quite a few formatting errors, especially when it came to the quotation marks and dialogue. The author chose to italicize those portions of dialogue which were English translations of words spoken in Chinese, but often the italics extended beyond the end quote, and included other portions of the sentence needlessly. This was, at times, distracting since it seemed like emphasis was being placed on those words, though I realized after the fact that was not the case. Also, at times the spacing around the quotation marks themselves was a bit off, and the quotes would attach themselves to other parts of the sentence that were not included in the dialogue. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and believe that with a round of editing to fix the text formatting and correct a few minor errors, this would be worthy of a perfect rating. I highly enjoyed the stories and lessons within, and would recommend this memoir to readers who enjoy travelling and learning about other cultures.

Cutted Chicken in Shanghai
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. I loved the rich Chinese culture. Very educational and inspiring. Good plot and exciting story. A book i would love to read
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Based on the review, I do not think this is one of those books that I would love to read. Thank you for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This would be an excellent book for anyone who is planning to live overseas! The language and cultural difficulties are common experiences for foreigners. They can be just as hilarious as they are embarrassing! Thanks for the recommendation!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This does sound like an interesting book. I have some friends who have been working in China for a couple years and will be back soon. It would be interesting to read this book and then see how the author's experience 20 years ago compares to my friends' experience now.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

The title of this book is both fascinating and funny. Or looks like an interesting read

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”