Official Review: My Every Breath by Anna Maynard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: My Every Breath by Anna Maynard

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Every Breath" by Anna Maynard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many times a day do you think about your respiratory system? Once you finish your exercise routine, do you count how many deep breaths you take? Anna and her older sister, France, were born with cystic fibrosis (CF). Their every breath was a struggle and a blessing. In her book, My Every Breath, Anna Maynard, with Karen Emilson, shares her memoir about her journey through life with this life-threatening disease. Anna's primary motivation for sharing her story is to encourage other people who have cystic fibrosis to have hope and never give up fighting.

Growing up with CF meant you were always different. Anna described her daily routine in which her mother "pummeled" her back and chest for forty minutes. Several times a week, they went to the hospital to have phlegm suctioned from their lungs. She did not outgrow her disease and eventually needed a lung transplant.

I enjoyed the description of Anna's close relationship with her older sister and her mother. The stories of their activities and the dialogues made me feel like I was a part of her family. Her poignant writing invoked feelings of sadness when she described the tragedy that happened to her sister and mother. I shared the love, tenderness, and gratitude she felt for the way her mother cared for their family. I also suffered with her as she lamented what happened to her elderly mother.

A wide variety of photographs of Anna and her family members fill the pages of the book. She documented birthdays, baptisms, graduations, weddings, and funerals. She included pictures from her childhood up to her grandchildren.

I appreciated the author's openness in sharing the details of her disease. This openness also drove her to express what I most disliked about the book. The final section of the book deals with the tragedy that struck her mother. I found this section challenging to read as Anna revealed the details of the attack on her mother and the subsequent trial.

The trial revealed some stressful events that sensitive and younger readers would find offensive. The interrogation of the suspect, who was arrested in relation to their mother’s case, contains strong language.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Anna's story revealed the health, legal, and spiritual challenges she faced. It is a story that emphasized how strong family ties support us through life's grim seasons. The minimal number of errors made the reading enjoyable. Anna's story reminds the reader to be grateful for good health and to appreciate your "every breath". People who enjoy memoirs that speak to medical issues and strong families would enjoy this book. Families who have a relative who has received a transplant would identify with Anna's joy and confusion after receiving someone else's lungs. Readers who do not enjoy memoirs would struggle with this book.

My Every Breath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

This memoir looks interesting to me. I've met several people with cf. I would enjoy learning more about this disease and reading how others cope with challenges. Thanks for your lovely review of this book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I admire those who rise above such difficult challenges. Your review has piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't imagine what Anna went through. Her story sounds revealing and brave. I admire her for sharing it with us. I'll have to look into this one more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I commend the author for being so candid about CF. I can't imagine what it would be like to need a lung transplant, but I am glad she got one. Thanks for your lovely review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:04 This memoir looks interesting to me. I've met several people with cf. I would enjoy learning more about this disease and reading how others cope with challenges. Thanks for your lovely review of this book!
Anna's story is inspiring. I was especially amazed by the advances in the treatments/medications that the author has seen since her childhood. I hope you will enjoy this book. Thanks for stopping by!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:44 I admire those who rise above such difficult challenges. Your review has piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sometimes a person's life story just makes you thankful for your health! When you read Anna's story, you will see that she had many other challenges besides her health issues. Thanks for commenting! Hope you enjoy the book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 18:33 Wow! I can't imagine what Anna went through. Her story sounds revealing and brave. I admire her for sharing it with us. I'll have to look into this one more. Thanks.
Anna did show a great deal of bravery with all the situations she had to face. When you read the book, you will discover that there were many other events that required courage and determination. The pictures were wonderful and truly enrich the story, making you feel like you are a member of her family. I hope you have an opportunity to read this one. Thanks so much for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 19:36 I commend the author for being so candid about CF. I can't imagine what it would be like to need a lung transplant, but I am glad she got one. Thanks for your lovely review!
This part of the story was very moving. I felt myself holding my breath and suffering along with her as the family awaited news of a donor. Her story is amazing and encouraging! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Personally, I can't handle subjects like this in memoirs, they are just too heavy for me. That said, it sounds like it was wonderfully written, and I hope getting it down on paper helped the author heal from the tragedies that happened in her life. Great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

unamilagra wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 12:43 Personally, I can't handle subjects like this in memoirs, they are just too heavy for me. That said, it sounds like it was wonderfully written, and I hope getting it down on paper helped the author heal from the tragedies that happened in her life. Great review!
When I chose this book, it seemed like it would just be about someone who had triumphed over a medical issue. I was surprised to read about many other life-changing events she experienced. I could only admire Anna and her family. I understand how you feel and appreciate your comments.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I admire their strength in their constant struggle to just breathe- and appreciate the support of their dear mother. Reading of her attack must have been heartbreaking. Thank you for a great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bluebird03 wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 21:14 I admire their strength in their constant struggle to just breathe- and appreciate the support of their dear mother. Reading of her attack must have been heartbreaking. Thank you for a great review!
Anna's relationship with her mother is a bond that every mother hopes to have with their child. Anna appreciated all her mother had sacrificed for her (Anna's health). When her mother suffered, it profoundly affected Anna (and the whole family). It was heartbreaking, but it increased my admiration for Anna and her family. Thanks for commenting!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

What a story! This woman has suffered and has overcome. I admire that she put it in a book to encourage the rest of us. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 14:24 What a story! This woman has suffered and has overcome. I admire that she put it in a book to encourage the rest of us. Great review!
It is an inspirational story. I really that it was written in story form with dialogues and photos. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”