Official Review: Education Reimagined by Maruf Hossain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Education Reimagined by Maruf Hossain

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Education Reimagined" by Maruf Hossain.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How was your educational experience? Were there things that you wished could have been changed? Was school the bane of your existence or your reason for being? As a parent, are you as involved in your children's schooling as you should be?

In Education Reimagined author Maruf Hossain discusses the educational system in the United States, its difficulties, and how to improve it. The book begins with a series of essays by the author about such topics as standardized testing, bullying, and the college experience. In the second part, there are essays from students with their experiences and ideas for improvement.

Having earned my bachelor's degree in music (and now not using my degree at all), I have my own ideas about schooling and of what it should consist. I was curious to see how my opinions lined up with the author's and if there would be any practical solutions given. While not all of the answers were realistic, I did agree with the author about the removal of tests. He advocates for a portfolio based grading system where the student is judged on a body of work instead of quizzes and exams. While it wouldn't be easy to implement, this would eliminate unnecessary stress from students and give them a higher possibility of success.

The essays from current students were enlightening and informative. What better way to get a sense of where our system is failing than from those that are going through it? The most poignant piece was from a young woman who was the victim of discrimination during her schooling.

I also appreciated the research that went into the book. The author makes use of endnotes throughout the book, which shows that the author did his homework. These are all clickable, as was the table of contents. It would be easy to pick and choose sections to read or use the endnotes to do further research on your own.

The only drawback to the book was the lack of professional editing. The most numerous error I encountered was the use of the wrong tense of verbs. Even more troublesome, though, was the awkwardly worded sentences that caused me to reread them several times to try to discover the author's meaning. For example: "In classes there is always an exception or two of students that struggle more than their peers, and while they should not receive any special treatment unless there is something specific medically that is known to give such as extra time on a test, we may not know the full extent of their struggles in their studies."

Overall, Education Reimagined is a quick read about an important topic. Due to the awkward phrasing and grammatical errors, I can only give it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone that is involved in any way in the educational system of the United States - teachers, principals, students, parents, and lawmakers. I do hope that there are changes made to make education a better experience for both student and teacher (and parent).

Education Reimagined
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

As a former special educator, I can relate to the problems with tests. I remember dreading the standardized tests because students with disabilities tended to do poorly, and then the special educators would get blamed for bringing down the average test score. It was one of several reason for why I quit teaching. I have added this book to my reading list. Thanks for the memory-invoking review! :eusa-think: :)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:08 As a former special educator, I can relate to the problems with tests. I remember dreading the standardized tests because students with disabilities tended to do poorly, and then the special educators would get blamed for bringing down the average test score. It was one of several reason for why I quit teaching. I have added this book to my reading list. Thanks for the memory-invoking review! :eusa-think: :)
Yes, the author points out that testing is not only bad for the students, but the teachers as well. I'm sorry that you quit; the world needs great teachers. I do hope you read the book!
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I find it a bit ironic that a book on reforming the education system in the US has a lot of English grammar errors. Maybe that in itself speaks to the quality of education. This definitely seems interesting to me. I am one of those people that thrived in the traditional education system and now work at a University. But my husband (who is raw brains smarter than me) did not do well in school until he attended an alternative college that did not even give grades. And my daughter has definite struggles. So trying to figure out ways to make our education system better serve everyone is something I find incredibly important.
Roughreview
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roughreview »

As a student there are things that I do indeed want to change like the certain rules that we have about dress code and what they teach us because honestly certain things we learn in school doesn’t really help. They say oh dress this way and that way but the way we dress is not gonna affect the ways we learn.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

esp1975 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:12 I find it a bit ironic that a book on reforming the education system in the US has a lot of English grammar errors. Maybe that in itself speaks to the quality of education. This definitely seems interesting to me. I am one of those people that thrived in the traditional education system and now work at a University. But my husband (who is raw brains smarter than me) did not do well in school until he attended an alternative college that did not even give grades. And my daughter has definite struggles. So trying to figure out ways to make our education system better serve everyone is something I find incredibly important.
Even though there were issues with the grammar of the book, the author has some great points. Are we really helping our children to succeed in life with the educational system the way it is? I'm not so sure...
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The level of public education and the content of the classes has spurned an ever-growing homeschool community. I have read about the technique of reading the material and having the children talk about what they heard. This becomes the measure of comprehension, instead of testing. We want children to love learning, not to have their eyes glaze over when the teacher starts talking! The grammar errors are a letdown! Thanks for the excellent review and the compelling recommendation.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

As someone who recently graduated from high school, I can certainly agree that there are numerous problems with the education system. Schools definitely need to do more about bullying, for example, than having a “zero tolerance” policy. Our school told people to “avoid the bully” rather than doing anything. I also think eliminating testing would be a great idea and would like to see the research to back it up. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 16:25 The level of public education and the content of the classes has spurned an ever-growing homeschool community. I have read about the technique of reading the material and having the children talk about what they heard. This becomes the measure of comprehension, instead of testing. We want children to love learning, not to have their eyes glaze over when the teacher starts talking! The grammar errors are a letdown! Thanks for the excellent review and the compelling recommendation.
The author makes a compelling case for change, and I agreed with much of what was said. I wish some of it had been implemented during my college career. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

maggi3 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 16:44 As someone who recently graduated from high school, I can certainly agree that there are numerous problems with the education system. Schools definitely need to do more about bullying, for example, than having a “zero tolerance” policy. Our school told people to “avoid the bully” rather than doing anything. I also think eliminating testing would be a great idea and would like to see the research to back it up. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!
Yes, bullying is one issue that needs more attention. Our current "policies" are not working. I do hope you enjoy this if you read it. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I love book like this. I hope the get the opportunity to read it too.
Great review!
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

The author in his book "Education Re imagined " discusses the education system in the US and its difficulties .The author does not support this prevailing system and says, it should be changed and be replaced with a new system of portfolio based grading system but at the same time the author admits himself that its implementation would be difficult. I agree that the present education system puts pressure and stress on the students' and the exam is based on quizzes and exam. I am also of the view that the debate should continue on this topic to have an even better options on education
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Daniel_ wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 00:35 I love book like this. I hope the get the opportunity to read it too.
Great review!
It's definitely one I hope everyone gets the chance to read. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nizar Ali Shah wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 01:14 The author in his book "Education Re imagined " discusses the education system in the US and its difficulties .The author does not support this prevailing system and says, it should be changed and be replaced with a new system of portfolio based grading system but at the same time the author admits himself that its implementation would be difficult. I agree that the present education system puts pressure and stress on the students' and the exam is based on quizzes and exam. I am also of the view that the debate should continue on this topic to have an even better options on education
It's definitely something that needs more attention and should be discussed more. If we want it to change, everyone needs to get involved in fighting for that change. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an important book indeed since the education system not only in the U.S. but many parts of the world seems to be the same and many students would advocate for radical changes. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”