Official Review: My Thirty Years In New York City

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: My Thirty Years In New York City

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Thirty Years In New York City" by John Joseph Strangi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"My dreams of making it in the theater never came true, but somehow, simply being a resident of Manhattan made me feel like a star."

If you have ever visited New York City, perhaps you have wondered what it would be like to live there. John Joseph Strangi spares no detail in his telling memoir, My Thirty Years in New York City. After his father insists that he must quit acting and go to college in Dallas, Strangi convinces him he will need a car, which he promptly sells and uses the money to move to the city of his dreams. With a flair for drama and a dash of humor, Strangi shares his experiences as a young actor seeking work, his day job working on Wall Street, and the parade of interesting people who cross his path.

In this 162-page memoir, Strangi gives readers an insider's view as he reveals his favorite haunts like Sardi's, Joe Allen's, and the Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel. He describes the novelty of shopping on Fifty-Seventh Street at places such as Tiffany's and Bergdorf Goodman, whose gorgeous window displays he compares to "mini-Broadway shows."

In fact, I particularly liked Strangi's description of his 1972 trip to the Big Apple, prior to being a resident there. He passionately expressed his excitement regarding the city's iconic skyline, nightlife, and Broadway shows, and his enthusiasm was contagious. Once he moved to the city, I also enjoyed his entertaining highlights of the shows he saw, restaurants he frequented, and celebrities he met, including Katherine Hepburn, Geraldine Page, Matt Lauer, and Julie Andrews. On a more somber note, Strangi shared details regarding the experience of living in the city during and after the attacks on September 11, 2001. His retelling of waking early, enjoying his usual cups of coffee, and heading to the gym on the beautiful September morning before discovering the news was a poignant reminder of the tragic events that transpired on that day.

On the other hand, I disliked Strangi's writing style; his first-person narrative often conveyed an air of entitlement. Strangi's parents were divorced, but he inherited money from his father. Based on his extravagant purchases and lifestyle, it must have been a sizable amount. However, I struggled to maintain interest in the social scene of "The Hamptons" and details involving his exorbitant spending habits, as I imagine the average reader would.

The editing also needs some polishing. One of the most common errors was punctuating questions with exclamation points. Although the number of errors necessitates deducting a star, the book will appeal to readers who enjoy reading about New York and the lifestyle there. Fans of the theater will appreciate the Broadway show trivia. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

My Thirty Years In New York City
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

It's a thing of joy when I see reviewers who go through books like this. The tale of the author, especially his meeting with celebrities, must have been one memorable event to hold on to. Would love to read this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

C-obi wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 09:48 It's a thing of joy when I see reviewers who go through books like this. The tale of the author, especially his meeting with celebrities, must have been one memorable event to hold on to. Would love to read this book.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Why do so many folks feel the need to over use exclamation points in their memoirs...it is as if they think they will make their lives sound more exciting than they actually are. Overspending aside, it sounds like a nice look at New York back in the 70s on up.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It would be fascinating to read of how September 11 affected his life that day. However, I am afraid that I would also become a bit bored in reading of the social scene there and his sense of entitlement. Thank you for an excellent review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bluebird03 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 12:54 It would be fascinating to read of how September 11 affected his life that day. However, I am afraid that I would also become a bit bored in reading of the social scene there and his sense of entitlement. Thank you for an excellent review!
Yes, that was a very enlightening portion of the book. Thanks for your comment.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds like a great read. I've always wanted to go to New York City. As someone from a small town, I can't even imagine what living there must be like. I would also be interested in the author's experience with 9/11. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for your comment, Maggi.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

After his father insists that he must quit acting and go to college in Dallas, Strangi convinces him he will need a car, which he promptly sells and uses the money to move to the city of his dreams.
Well, then. That is quite a start to what seems to be a fascinating tale of living in New York City! Thanks for such a detailed review. :D :D
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Since this is a memoir, I would be interested in knowing if he ever reconciled with his father? Apparently, he wasn't removed from the will since he still got the inheritance. Just wondering. Beautifully written review!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a great novel for me! I just returned from NYC and have enjoyed theater all my life! Nothing beats a live performance. Thank you for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 12:20
After his father insists that he must quit acting and go to college in Dallas, Strangi convinces him he will need a car, which he promptly sells and uses the money to move to the city of his dreams.
Well, then. That is quite a start to what seems to be a fascinating tale of living in New York City! Thanks for such a detailed review. :D :D
Thanks for your comment, Sarah.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 10:50 Since this is a memoir, I would be interested in knowing if he ever reconciled with his father? Apparently, he wasn't removed from the will since he still got the inheritance. Just wondering. Beautifully written review!
Good question--yes, he did! The author does mention that they didn't speak for about a year, but he also thought deep-down his father admired his determination to get to New York one way or another. :lol2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helene_2008 wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 20:14 This sounds like a great novel for me! I just returned from NYC and have enjoyed theater all my life! Nothing beats a live performance. Thank you for the review.
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I visited New York City and fell in love. Life circumstances would prohibit ever living in a place like NYC. I suspect I'd not really enjoy the book with the author having an entitled air and talking about his robust wallet.

Also, the number of pages seems pretty skimpy for the subject material.

As always, I enjoyed your review and could tell by your details my likely reaction to reading the memoir. It's probably a "no" for me but a "yes" to hearing what you have to say about this book and others.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”