Official Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leadership" by Craig B. Whelden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I picked up Leadership by Craig B. Whelden, I knew I would find a teaching guide on the topic, with some real-life examples sprinkled throughout the narrative. What I didn’t expect was reading not only an educational book but also an engaging and entertaining life tale as well.

The author is a major general who has spent most of his adult life in the various branches of the military. His autobiographical guide shines a light on his extensive service background, centering on leadership in the military. Craig Whelden commanded several bases in various parts of the world, including the U.S. and Germany. Over the years, he rose in ranks and took command of bigger, more expensive, and more authoritative programs. Even after retiring, he still worked in the military, taking charge of important private projects that some leaders have only ever dreamed about.

The book presents a fascinating glimpse into the world of the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps. Craig Whelden is not only one of the best leaders I have come across. He is also an excellent storyteller, and a great teacher. We are all wired for stories, and the author often uses them in a gripping way to guide leaders towards becoming exceptional at their craft. The nuggets of insight that he scatters in his engaging biography teach us about taking risks, dealing with crises, empowering others, leaving a legacy to be proud of, and they tell us that when everything seems lost, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. These are bits of wisdom that even everyday people reading the guide can take with them.

One of the personal stories that made an impact on me was related to the 9/11 attacks. That day, the author was in Washington D.C., in a hotel just across the Pentagon. His recount of the events was captivating. Over the years, I have read and listened to many accounts of that horrible day, but the author has this exciting way of telling a story that keeps you glued to your device until the end.

The book is well written and employs straight-forward language that doesn't overwhelm the reader with difficult corporate lingo usually found in this genre. I haven’t noticed any grammatical errors, so the book is properly edited. My tiny complaint is about the many names the author injected into the pages. All the various people he encountered during his career were listed in their particular capacities, and at some point, my eyes glazed over because I couldn’t keep track of them anymore. Of course, the author knew them. They impacted his life, and he changed theirs in a meaningful way. But for me, they were names I’ve heard for the first time, and I found their overwhelming number in the book slightly distracting.

However, this did not lessen my general enjoyment while reading. Thus, I give Leadership 4 out of 4 well-deserved stars. Whether you are in a leadership role in the army, in the corporate business, or you’re just reading the book because you love biographies, you will learn a lot from it. I recommend it to anyone who aspires to become a better leader regardless of the industry.

Leadership
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Being a good storyteller is such a gift, no matter what genre of literature a writer is working in. It sounds like this author has it. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Many thanks for a great review and for the recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it definitely sounds like the author would know about leadership. I'm not in a leadership role and don't really plan to be nor do I really enjoy memoirs. Therefore, I don't know that this is the book for me. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I always seem to be thrust into leadership positions no matter how much I try to avoid them, so on that front, I'm interested in this book. On the other, I'm also fascinated by the military stuff, so I'm bound to find something either way. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like a book I should read. Leadership is a great quality to have and work on throughout your life. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like a great author and leader all at once. Thank you for your sound review. Certainly looks like a novel worth exploring.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The book is engaging and entertaining story from the beginning to the end. Definitely the book is enjoyable to read and am getting one because of the incredibly written review. Thanks.
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

Isn't it interesting that often great leaders are great story-tellers? I enjoyed reading the review and plan to enjoy reading this book.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really like it when books like these include personal narratives. I think it really makes the lessons stick.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The best way of teaching something is to explain it taking examples from personal experiences. I really admire people sharing their tales, that can be useful for others. Amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am definitely interested. I hope the major general is not the revered military man who is feared at home. If he is a loving family man as well, then I salute him.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I enjoy reading memoirs; and for it to be educative and entertaining is another plus. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
rajyadav
Favorite Book: Superhighway
Currently Reading: Playing Chess with God
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by rajyadav »

Really great book on the ins and outs dos and don’ts of leadership. Very well described intentions and consequences. As a current business owner it’s very important to pour into myself and make sure I’m giving the best to my business and clients. I found Craig’s accounts of interpretation spot on for any workforce. The places he traveled and the amount of responsibly he had would overwhelm many. He surrounded himself with other great leaders and continued to learn. I really enjoyed this book from the personal stories he shared to the feeling of Craig wanting to help make other leaders stronger.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Sounds interesting book. Hope I could fined time to read this. Besides, we all need information such as this to improve our Leadership skills. Thanks for the review!
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

This definitely isn't my normal type of read. It is good to hear there are some entertaining anecdotes, though, to keep the story moving. Might have to add this to my list.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”