Official Review: Mustard Seed Faith by Bethanee R. Syversen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Mustard Seed Faith by Bethanee R. Syversen

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mustard Seed Faith" by Bethanee R. Syversen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I started to lose my sense of self in the wake of this heartache, loss, and pain. It was incredibly isolating and lonely. I wish I could say I had the perfect answer for what to do about the way I was feeling--the way so many of us feel when we experience multiple miscarriages--but I didn't."

With heartfelt transparency, Bethanee R. Syversen shares her story in her debut, Mustard Seed Faith: A Journey through Infertility, Miscarriages, Adoption, and Faith. Her journey spans seven miscarriages, three failed adoptions, and fourteen years, but despite the loss and disappointment, Bethanee and her husband believed God had a plan for their family. Now, as the mother of six children, she offers hope, insight, and encouragement that will resonate with those going through similar circumstances. Syversen views the hardships as experiences that redefined her faith and encourages readers to trust God to write their stories.

Syversen's writing style is conversational and encouraging, and her strong faith in God is evident, as she poignantly conveys the range of emotions she experienced from the heartbreak of each miscarriage and the "mental anguish of adoption" to feeling isolated and misunderstood at times by others. The book is divided into two parts; in the first, Syversen gives detailed accounts of the medical steps they took and the emotional roller coaster involved regarding infertility. The second part is compiled from a series of blog posts she wrote during her family's journey through different types of adoption, including private, international, domestic, and through the foster care system.

I particularly liked Syversen's inclusion of hints and medical explanations throughout the book. These helpful sections provided information from explaining procedures such as the HSG Test to advising family and friends how to best support couples dealing with infertility and miscarriages. Having experienced a single miscarriage, I received some of the insensitive comments Syversen mentioned, and I agreed with her advice. "Offer your hand so she can hold it, offer your shoulder for her to cry on, and offer your help with daily chores like laundry and meals. However, please keep your advice and your opinions to yourself." I also enjoyed reading the Bible verses that gave her comfort, hope, and strength during her journey.

The book is beautifully written, and the editing is professional. It offers encouraging words for readers who have experienced infertility and/or miscarriages and provides a wealth of information for those exploring adoption. In fact, I honestly can't name a thing I dislike or a suggestion for improvement, and I am pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It would be a wonderful resource for family members desiring to be supportive of loved ones going through this journey. Syversen writes from a Christian perspective, but because many of the emotional and medical aspects of her experiences are universal, I recommend it to readers of various faiths. On the other hand, if you dislike reading scriptures and references to God, this book is probably not for you.

Mustard Seed Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a heart-wrenching account of what it is like to struggle with fertility and loss. I like that the author has been able to write about her experiences and use her faith to push through the hard times. Thank you for another one of your wonderful reviews!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't imagine going through so much loss. The author had to have courage to stick with it for that long, and I'm glad as it seems it finally paid off! This sounds like an encouraging tale, especially to those going through something similar. Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 11:22 This sounds like a heart-wrenching account of what it is like to struggle with fertility and loss. I like that the author has been able to write about her experiences and use her faith to push through the hard times. Thank you for another one of your wonderful reviews!
She shares a very inspiring story. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 15:09 Wow! I can't imagine going through so much loss. The author had to have courage to stick with it for that long, and I'm glad as it seems it finally paid off! This sounds like an encouraging tale, especially to those going through something similar. Thanks for sharing with us.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

What an amazing story. Your reviews always seem to paint such a clear picture of the books while still leaving enough to the imagination to make reading the book seem totally worthwhile. I have a lot I could learn from you as an amateur reviewer.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Losing children is always a difficult thing to cope with but I believe those who come out stronger on the other end are worth the admiration. That Ms. Syversen includes this as part of her story is a testament to that strength.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

Seems like an inspirational read for those going through tough times with infertility. I love that she combines practical advice with faith and offers guidance on how to get through it. Thanks for your helpful review.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

This seems to be a book for the more experienced elderly. I love the faith that kept the woman going. She clearly had faith and virtues that would inspire and give strength to other women. Your review was well written and well presented. Thank you for giving us a clear picture.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

:eusa-think: what a wonderful review. This book sounds heartfelt and honest, something I love in an autobiography. It is so great that she takes you through her miscarriage and adoption trials to the adoption of her six children. This seems like a great book can’t wait to read it. What a great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 22:46 What an amazing story. Your reviews always seem to paint such a clear picture of the books while still leaving enough to the imagination to make reading the book seem totally worthwhile. I have a lot I could learn from you as an amateur reviewer.
What a kind comment. Thanks so much! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nisha Ward wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 00:35 Losing children is always a difficult thing to cope with but I believe those who come out stronger on the other end are worth the admiration. That Ms. Syversen includes this as part of her story is a testament to that strength.
That's very true. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wokeread wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 05:30 Seems like an inspirational read for those going through tough times with infertility. I love that she combines practical advice with faith and offers guidance on how to get through it. Thanks for your helpful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dee_218 wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 12:43 This seems to be a book for the more experienced elderly. I love the faith that kept the woman going. She clearly had faith and virtues that would inspire and give strength to other women. Your review was well written and well presented. Thank you for giving us a clear picture.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Janalyn101 wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 21:57 :eusa-think: what a wonderful review. This book sounds heartfelt and honest, something I love in an autobiography. It is so great that she takes you through her miscarriage and adoption trials to the adoption of her six children. This seems like a great book can’t wait to read it. What a great review!
Thank you. It sounds like you will enjoy the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”