Official Review: DELILAH and Others Like Her by Trish Titus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: DELILAH and Others Like Her by Trish Titus

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DELILAH and Others Like Her" by Trish Titus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

DELILAH and Others Like Her by Trisha Titus are memoirs written by pet owners whose pets have passed away. Consisting of stories of about 20 pets, each story details the memories, whether good or bad, that the owners had of their pets.

A cat that played with plastic colored Easter eggs. A dog with two colored eyes who loved to howl along to any tune. A hamster who could daintily pick out the smallest crumb in your hand instead of nipping at it. A goat that acted like a dog and loved to play with children. What do all of these pets have in common? They all had loving owners who experienced the pain of losing their beloved pets whether in an accident or sickness.

Each chapter is a story written by different owners that describes how their pets were like, their antics and personalities. Most of the stories also describe the pain of losing their pets and reminisce what it was like to have someone have such a profound impact on your life. At the end of most chapters, there is an excerpt that urges readers to fully understand what it’s like to have a pet and to research the different breeds before adopting one. The owners also listed what they learned from their pets, like patience, love, and to enjoy every moment you have with your loved ones. Many of them encouraged readers to adopt instead of buying from a breeder. At the end of the book, there is a list of animal shelters that readers can volunteer at or adopt pets from and a list of pet loss support groups.

The main goal of this book is to give comfort to those who have lost their pets. I teared up a lot as some of the stories were heartbreaking as well as heartwarming. What I liked the most about this book were the adorable pictures of pets included in each chapter. This made the book more relatable and engaging. My favorite story was that of Chaddy Noody, a pet rooster, whose story had a surprising but amusing ending.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were a couple of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, but they did not detract from the book. The heart-warming stories, as well as the cute pictures of all the pets, made this book an enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to pet owners who have lost a pet.

DELILAH and Others Like Her
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I absolutely cherish my pets, so this book sounds truly moving to me. I particularly love the one with the goat, it sounds incredibly sweet.
Thank you so much for a detailed, insightful review!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Yamini Sundram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Yamini Sundram »

Since i have been craving a pet for so long, this book moved me to no end.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awe... I'm not much of a pet person but this book those appeal to me since I once lost a pet in an unfortunate way. Great review. thanks for sharing.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

A book about 20 animals impacting the lives of their respective human sounds like a heart-warming and moving book. Without a doubt, animals can teach us how to live compassionately. I have added this book to my reading list. :-) I enjoyed reading your moving review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What a lovely idea- a collection of story about beloved pets. And I enjoyed reading the examples that you gave. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that this would be an emotional read. We do become quite attached to our pets. From the examples you gave, this sounds like a lovely book. Thanks!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I've had pets since I became an adult, and every one has brought joy. My pets have been rescues or shelter animals, and I'm glad I could share my home.

This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I had to smile about the pet rooster. I had a friend who had her young son name the new pet dog. For some reason, the kid named the dog Rooster. So, I knew someone who had a pet Rooster, but the rooster was actually a dog. LOL.

Nice review. Thanks.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

What a nice idea for a book! My family had two cats when I was growing up and I remember how painful it was for us when they finally passed away. But I remember all the joys that our pets brought to our lives as well while they were with us. This is definitely a book I will be checking out! Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Interesting memories of lovable pets. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I love animals. This book seems to have been created for me. To read about the various events and accidents of pets seems very interesting. But since they are gone, I believe it will be very emotional read. Thank you for an amazing review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Awww! What a sweet collection. Being a pet owner myself, I know what it's like to lose one of our beloved fur babies. It's heartbreaking. I hope this brought comfort to the owners and perhaps it'll bring comfort to others who have lost a pet. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gaby+LysMom2KB
Currently Reading: Sink Reflections
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaby-lysmom2kb.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Gaby+LysMom2KB »

Your review was great and moving. Being a cat owner/animal lover, I know I will love and read this book. I will probably tear up, like you. I know the feeling of loss, as well as laughter, tenderness and affection when relating to animals. This will be definitely added to my book shelf. Thanks!
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

Animal stories are always favorites at our house. This book is destined for my bookshelves. Thank you for the great review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The book reveals a connection between pets and humans. I definitely loved reading the review and would love to read the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”