Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 03:23 Often, I see a lot of people questioning the motives of illegal immigrants, blaming them for the things that happen to them when they make the journey. I think this would go a long way to understanding why people undertake such a journey and their resilience in doing so. Unfortunately, the editing and unclear time jumps bar me from reading it.
The book does give you a window into the mindset of the immigrant. It was very informative. Thanks for stopping by!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

inaramid wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 04:44 The premise sounds good, but it also sounds like it would be a confusing read in its current state. I hope the author takes your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for this review!
The story was interesting, but the 'quite' for 'quiet' did get a bit frustrating! Thanks for commenting!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I have read some other books about immigration, and I learn something every time. This book sounds like a great read. It's a shame about the editing mistakes, though. I enjoyed your review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 13:53 I have read some other books about immigration, and I learn something every time. This book sounds like a great read. It's a shame about the editing mistakes, though. I enjoyed your review!
I did enjoy the author's perspective. The message was interesting, in spite of the errors. Thank you for the kind words!
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

Beyond Petra is a story one can embark on, reflect and relate to one's life experiences. It is also good to see only the failures in life because there is all alot of good in us. The review is great. Thanks
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kyoks wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 03:42 Beyond Petra is a story one can embark on, reflect and relate to one's life experiences. It is also good to see only the failures in life because there is all alot of good in us. The review is great. Thanks
The experiences are interesting to hear. I hope you get a chance to read about them. Thanks for commenting!
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Great review! I find unexplained time jumps in books to be very frustrating as well, but Monzy definitely sounds like he has lived a very interesting and complicated life
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:31 Great review! I find unexplained time jumps in books to be very frustrating as well, but Monzy definitely sounds like he has lived a very interesting and complicated life
It is an interesting story, in spite of the time jumps. Thanks for much for stopping by.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 08:43 Immigration nowadays in the US is such a hot topic. I think this would be an eye-opener. Pity about the grammatical mistakes. Thanks for your honest review! :tiphat:
Stole the thoughts right out of my head. In the US (and elsewhere), this is seen as such a black and white, us or them issue. Literature that can put a human face on the hard decisions immigrants make can help to further understanding and compassion.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 11:00
briellejee wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 08:43 Immigration nowadays in the US is such a hot topic. I think this would be an eye-opener. Pity about the grammatical mistakes. Thanks for your honest review! :tiphat:
Stole the thoughts right out of my head. In the US (and elsewhere), this is seen as such a black and white, us or them issue. Literature that can put a human face on the hard decisions immigrants make can help to further understanding and compassion.
This is a story that opens your eyes and deepens your understanding of what motivates immigrants to attempt such a life-changing journey. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Fantastic review! The author has definitely led an interesting life that no doubt made for a compelling story filled with plenty of emotional depth. It's a shame that the book features so many grammatical errors.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 05:21 Fantastic review! The author has definitely led an interesting life that no doubt made for a compelling story filled with plenty of emotional depth. It's a shame that the book features so many grammatical errors.
It was an interesting book and quite informative. Hope you will have an opportunity to read it. I appreciate your kind words!
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 09:29
Kyoks wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 03:42 Beyond Petra is a story one can embark on, reflect and relate to one's life experiences. It is also good to see only the failures in life because there is all alot of good in us. The review is great. Thanks
The experiences are interesting to hear. I hope you get a chance to read about them. Thanks for commenting!
Indeed they are.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”