Official Review: Scientific Challenges to Evolutionary Th...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Scientific Challenges to Evolutionary Th...

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scientific Challenges to Evolutionary Theory" by Jay Schabacker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scientific Challenges to Evolutionary Theory and How These Challenges Affect Religion is authored by James (Jay) M. Schabacker. He is an engineer by profession, but as a devout Christian, he is very concerned about the impact of the theory of evolution on faith and family. According to him, public schools focus on teaching only about evolution. He wants to make a legal case and garner support through a signature campaign to promote the inclusion of teaching the scientific aspects of creation along with those of evolution in the curriculum.

The creation vs. evolution debate has been going on in Christian circles for ages. Some see faith as opposed to science, and others see both as compatible with each other. Many scientists like Newton, Faraday, and Galileo were people of faith. In this book, the writer tries to provide “scientific” evidence for creation by referring to non-biblical sources of information to corroborate biblical events. He states that many scientists believe in creation.

The author’s approach intrigues me as a theologian. He asks whether the earth is thousands or billions of years old and argues that evolution is itself a religion. He lists the scientific differences between the creation model of the Bible and the evolution model (according to Darwin). Schabacker seems to have a cafeteria approach of selectively choosing quotations from various sources. I find it difficult to appreciate his views because they don’t seem balanced. Some people tend to be dualistic in their thinking with an “either-or” mentality. As far as I know, most Christian schools teach about creation as well as evolution. They have no problem with the possibility that God used evolution as the mode of creation.

I wonder whether the writer’s campaign for including the scientific aspects of the biblical account of creation in public schools is feasible. Nowadays, students belonging to various religions study together. It is doubtful how Christian teaching will be accepted in public schools. Some may argue that Sunday school in Churches can take care of what is missing in the public school curriculum. When I began reading this book, I got the impression that Schabacker is a staunch proponent of creationism and sees science and religion as incompatible. He doubts whether professors with a Ph.D. sign in favor of evolution merely to “retain their tenure” in universities. After reading the entire book, I conclude that he believes science and religion are compatible, but he does not believe in the possibility of creation through evolution.

I liked the chart “Science Confirms the Bible,” which compares biblical notions, e.g., “innumerable stars” and “the earth as a sphere,” with science “then” and “now.” The illustrations of fossils are what I liked most. The author refers to scientific theories in favor of creation by giving examples such as the gaps in fossil records of different living creatures. He asserts that this is not mentioned in textbooks. He believes that life appeared abruptly (not through a gradual evolutionary process) by giving the example of fossils of all kinds of species that have co-existed for ages. While reading the list of social consequences of believing in evolution, I was quite amused by the following statement: “If humans descended from animals, why shouldn’t humans behave like animals?” The point is worth reflecting upon seriously, but I would still not go against the possibility of creation through evolution.

What I did not like is the book’s presentation. It needs a round of editing as well as formatting. Words breaking into a new line are quite annoying. I found grammatical errors and typos that were distracting. After a thoughtful and critical analysis of the contents, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. In my opinion, the contents are suitable for beginners who need information on the theme. There’s a bibliography for those interested in more reading. I recommend it to teenagers and adults interested in this field. Pastors and teachers may also like it.

Scientific Challenges to Evolutionary Theory
View: on Bookshelves

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Looks like yet another book to open up the debate on evolution and creation. I agree with the author that schools should be allowed to teach both as, currently the system is biased towards evolution. Thanks for the insights.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! While the subject matter looks interesting, it's a shame the book has so many editing and formatting issues. Hopefully, the author will use your constructive criticism and hire a good editor in the future.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Though I'm not certain this book is aimed specifically for me, being a nonbeliever, your review is very insightful and the book sounds well-written.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

This is a topic I am very interested in, so I will probably read this book at some point. Which, if I were an animal, I would probably not. I appreciate your analysis and insights regarding the presentation of the material in this book.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

This is yet another book for an open case debate about creation and science. This is gong to be an interesting book to read if I get one.
Thanks though for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”