Official Review: Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to A...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to A...

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to Action" by Blanche E. Sosland, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to Action, by Blanche E. Sosland, Ph.D., examines bullying in early childhood through adulthood, unveiling the pain it has caused many persons and their families. It provides effective ways to eliminate such an act from human society. The author encourages readers to take action about the issue by learning from those who willingly shared their experiences, in order to help create an environment free of bullying behavior.

As Sosland presents ways to banish bullying, she provides numerous stories of people who were either once bullies or bullied. She analyses bullying in elementary school, middle school, and high school. Also, she discusses sibling, adult, and senior citizen bullying. She proceeds to examine the different types of bullying, such as physical, verbal, and emotional bullying. Afterwards, she proposes solutions. In further chapters, she gives an overview of bullying in the workplace, shows factors that increase the risk of the behavior, and highlights the health issues related to it.

This book is intriguing and educative. It deals with an important subject and offers ways to solve a big problem in our society. It's simple and easy to read. What I like most is the way the author used real-life situations to buttress her points, and this feature makes the book more relatable. Consisting of 147 pages, it's a short read, which you can finish reading in a couple of hours.

Furthermore, the book was professionally edited. Nonetheless, there are a lot of omitted commas after introductory clauses and phrases throughout the text. I guess the author wanted it that way. Though, nowadays, it's a growing trend for authors to omit commas in their writing, I regard such a style as distracting since it interrupts reading flow. Again, there is repetition of facts, but that is common in most non-fiction books. Anyway, I enjoyed reading the fascinating stories in this one, which are full of life-changing lessons. I advise every reader to read this book, but if you've been affected negatively by bullying and do not want to reopen old wounds, you may steer clear of it.

In an engaging manner, the book tells about cyberbullying and highlights bullying in medical, legal, and academic workplaces, providing guidelines which can be followed to create a bully-free world. Moreover, it discusses legal protections, for the young and the elderly, against the above issue.

Finally, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower since it's clear and interesting. It contains information that can transform lives, making better people and improving society. I recommend it to everyone, especially parents of kids in elementary school.

Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This sounds like a well written book on a very important issue. Thank you for your excellent review!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I have never understood bullying, but I know it is a big problem today. It's good to hear about a book that covers the issue and also offers solutions. Maybe the book will help. I hope so.

I agree about the commas. I am seeing fewer and fewer. It is distracting when a missing comma means having to read the sentence a second time to find the brief pause that makes the sentence make sense.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like an informative read. I hear all the time about schools, in particular, having a zero tolerance for bullying, but it is still happening every day! I like that it covers various forms of bullying and how it affects all age groups. Thanks for an engaging review!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

This is the second review by Rosemary that I've read. I really enjoy them. I now want read this book.a common sense look at bulling, repartition is expected.. Great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an interesting and insightful read. I like how this author is covering bullying and the many different ages, different forms, and an insight on people who are/were bullies, not just victims. I will definitely have to check this one out. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did! Thanks for this excellent review...
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I feel like this should be a must-read for parents and teenagers. Something like this that should possibly be incorporated into school systems. Bullying is so common now and informative books like this could help deter it. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a timely book for parents, educators, counselors, students... Bullying is hurtful and can have fatal consequences. I would be interested in reading the author's advise on how to handle bullies and bullying. Thanks for your review and recommendations!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a must-read for very many, including me. Sorry to learn about the lack of commas, but the book still seems to be very encouraging and informative. Thank you for a great review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This would be a good read to eradicate a vice that is prevalent in our growing children. The insight as revealed by this book is quite welcome. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

CyndiA1 wrote: 25 May 2019, 11:47 I have never understood bullying, but I know it is a big problem today. It's good to hear about a book that covers the issue and also offers solutions. Maybe the book will help. I hope so.

I agree about the commas. I am seeing fewer and fewer. It is distracting when a missing comma means having to read the sentence a second time to find the brief pause that makes the sentence make sense.
That's my point CyndiA1. It's quite distracting. Thanks for your comment.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

Janalyn101 wrote: 25 May 2019, 19:07 This is the second review by Rosemary that I've read. I really enjoy them. I now want read this book.a common sense look at bulling, repartition is expected.. Great

Thanks Janalyn101. That's quite encouraging.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

This sounds like an insightful book for a great cause. I notice the author includes the different forms of bullying in many different environments. Thank you for the review.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I like the fact that the author has tackled the issue of bullying in a more detailed manner. This is a book I will read and even get a copy for my friends.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that examines bullying and presents ways to banish it sounds educative indeed. It is good that the book tells about the various types of bullying and highlights the issue. Too bad about the repetition of facts, but at least it was professionally edited. The lack of commas can be a style choice. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”