Featured Official Review: The Morning Mind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Featured Official Review: The Morning Mind

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I like that this book focuses on empowerment. Great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

First of all, allow me to say your review is amazing. It's hard to cover so many aspects of a book in not so many words and still make it entertaining and very compelling. Adding your personal experience was very enriching. It's got to be one of the best reviews I've ever read.
I don't hate mornings that much, but I struggle with insomnia and my sleeping schedules are a mess, so I think I'll benefit greatly from this book. Science isn't my strong suit, but I'm glad it's presented in understandable terms.
Thank you! And congrats on an awesome review!
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

I think all adults should read this book. It seems both enlightening and helpful as a tool for daily life, work, and meeting the challenges of each day
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a really interesting book. It is nice to see they aren't trying to make non-morning people into morning people, but are instead teaching people how to work better with their own natural inclinations.
graceful-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceful-1.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by graceful-1 »

I'm already a morning person but I do enjoy learning about how our brains work and how we can find improvement to better our lives through that understanding. Thanks for the review!
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Your review is a perfect interpretation of what it feels to have read this book (or the sample, as I have done). I am not at all a morning person. I can stay up until 6am with absolutely no issue, but there is not one day of my life in my memory where I have awoken at 6am and felt refreshed or ready for the day. Even if I am tired beyond comprehension all day, I can still, and will still, stay up all night long. This is not at all how I want to function, though. To exist in our world, we have to adapt to early mornings, when everyone else is getting their work done. I was very excited as I embarked on this book. I was thinking about all the great things I could learn. Beginning with the discussion of the different brain levels, as you have mentioned, the book eventually builds up to practices that can be applied to produce productivity throughout the day. I was very thankful that a free copy of this book was made available in the Book of the Day email today, and I eagerly accepted a copy. Behavior modification is something I take a great interest in in the realm of psychology, and I think this book may provide me with the closest approximation of a solution to my own productivity problems that I have ever encountered.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

My son and I are the morning person, all cheery and smiley the second we wake up. On the other hand, my husband and my daughter are the opposites. I read a few sample pages and I wanted to keep reading it more. Definitely going to be a must read for me. Loved your review, concise and informative. Makes me want to read the book. Thank you!!
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

This sounds like a fascinating read! I tend to start my mornings by reading, but I am always looking for ways to be more productive. It seems like this book is more about daily routines than just mornings. Thanks for a thorough review!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Mornings are not my forte (especially with a toddler and infant who dont let me sleep through the night)! It sounds like I could learn a few things from this book. However, the Lizard and Wizard thing was wierd to me!
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I like how the authors took a topic and made it understandable to readers. I think the concept of the Lizard and Wizard seem interesting, too. It's a different way to look at the brain and understanding the natural circadian rhythm. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Wow, this sounds like a fascinating subject, neuroscience for the everyday person. This a subject that I've really never thought about much. This book does fascinate me quite a bite.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
navyapindi
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 234

Post by navyapindi »

The title intrigued me since I am a morning person. The way the functioning of a brain is explained by the concept of wizard and lizard seems interesting. Congrats on BOTD!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I liked your brilliant review. I think this book is a guidebook that explains how the human brain works. The human brain has three main parts, lizard, mammalian, and wizard. The stress should be to activate the wizard part of the brain. The authors being doctors, guide readers on how to make most of the brain and lead an active and happy life. I recommend The Morning Mind for young people. Congrats to the author on BOTD!
ShayM08
Currently Reading: The Sound of Spring
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaym08.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by ShayM08 »

This sounds like a great read to learn how to better understand yourself and improve your functions. Thanks for your review! It really portrays this book in a manner that makes it enticing to anyone interested in the human mind. Definitely worth a read!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting book about the brain, specifically the idea that the human brain is metaphorically divided into three parts: reptilian, mammalian and human; and each part not only has a different function, but also that each affects the individual's state of mind and to a certain degree, how an individual can utilize the different parts for problem solving and living life to the fullest. Well done.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”