Featured Official Review: The Morning Mind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Featured Official Review: The Morning Mind

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Morning Mind" by Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I hate mornings with a passion. I have never been one of those people who can bounce out of bed bright and early and make it to the office by eight in the morning with a workout at the gym under my belt and a smile on my face. I’m a drag my body from under the covers at the last possible moment, dependent on coffee to turn me into a functional human kind of person.

When I picked up The Morning Mind, I was expecting to read a manual on how to successfully become an early riser with productive mornings and less bed-head at the office. I didn’t get that. Instead, Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter and Dr. Rob Carter III taught me how my brain functions at its basest level and how to translate that knowledge into a higher degree of self-control and enlightenment about how to best work with my mind and body, not against it.

The Carters explain how the brain is broken into three main parts: the reptilian, mammalian, and the human. They refer to the reptilian portion of the brain as the Lizard. This is where your most basic instincts come from (e.g. fight or flight). The human brain is the portion with higher reasoning and awareness, aptly named the Wizard by the authors. The Lizard convinces you to stay in your safe place, be it in bed, your less than desirable job, or to avoid the physical discomfort of going to the gym. The key to overpowering the mental roadblocks from this portion of your brain is to identify that it is acting up and to use the higher reasoning of your Wizard to make the best decision, not the most comfortable one.

The book builds upon this understanding of the war going on within your own brain, but it also goes into great detail about the importance of understanding your natural circadian rhythm, hormones, positive affirmations, and constructive routine building techniques. They also take great pains to help you understand and work with your particular dosha, aromatherapy, and working exercise into your day.

The Morning Mind is professionally produced and extremely well-written. The authors take a heavy subject matter (essentially neuroscience) and boil it down to a level that is understandable by the average person. As you read each chapter, you find yourself thinking about how much sense they are making with each point they bring up. The Carters drive home their concept of the Lizard and Wizard with the example of your Lizard telling you to run from a housefire. Meanwhile, firefighters are able to tap into their well-trained Wizard to apply a calm and methodical approach to walking into that fire despite their instinct to avoid peril.

While some discussions were about subjects I’ve never considered (doshas being a big one), I found myself intrigued and open-minded. What helps overcome a reader's incredulity is the fact that the entire work is extremely well documented and includes twenty-five pages of endnotes. The authors are constantly quoting scientific studies at major universities to support their arguments. There is no question that The Morning Mind gets all 4 out of 4 stars.

This treatise on self-understanding would be a perfect gift for college students, procrastinators, yourself, or anyone who is looking to have a better understanding of how their brain and body work in concert together. This book is about so much more than mornings. It is about living a fuller life by understanding yourself. I have not miraculously been transformed into an early riser; however, my mornings have become much more pleasant. I can now identify when my Lizard is trying to talk me out of going to the gym or getting that painful project done at work, and I now have the tools I need to allow my Wizard to triumph. Pick up this book and answer the question put to you by the authors, “Who do you want to be: a victim or an influential person who takes full responsibility for life?” I know which one I’m choosing.

The Morning Mind
View: on Bookshelves

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This book sounds fascinating and your review of it is thorough and very engaging. I really appreciate that the authors are able to break down a very complicated subject matter and make it easily accessible for the average Joe or Jane. I also appreciate that their work is well-documented. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the authors have research to back up their premises. This all sounds highly intriguing, but I have to admit that I think I'm pretty good at out-thinking my "Lizard". Therefore, I doubt I'll pick this one up, but I do hope it helped you to battle your early morning woes. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:49 I love that the authors have research to back up their premises. This all sounds highly intriguing, but I have to admit that I think I'm pretty good at out-thinking my "Lizard". Therefore, I doubt I'll pick this one up, but I do hope it helped you to battle your early morning woes. Thanks!
I found my Lizard getting more than a little defensive while I read this book. This was one of the rare reads where I couldn't stop bugging my husband with interesting snippets and passages. Easily one of my favorites I have read through OBC.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

My lizard is a crocodile. Getting up in the morning sometimes just doesn't happen.
This book sounds super interesting. I really enjoyed your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

You and I had the same expectations. But it looks like the author has thought otherwise though I am not disappointed at all. Great review.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sounds a really interesting, really well-written book. It's not easy to take a difficult subject and make it readable to the lay person. Thanks for an excellent review of this!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Mornings are not a problem for me, but I would like to read what he has to say about motivation in other areas. His thorough research and well written text make this book quite appealing. Thanks for the recommendation.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an incredibly interesting and educational read... I appreciate your thorough review, and you have convinced me to add this to my bookshelf! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and well done:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

Your review of this book is intriguing and conveys the story in a inclusive manner. I have heard of these kind of ideas and they are something we all have but rarely acknowledge.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I'm pretty well steeped in my lizard brain, especially in the morning. I'm always interested in new ways to shift neuro-grooves. This sounds like a well-executed book, from the content and writing to the great research. I love neuropsychology, so this would be fun for me. I enjoyed reading your review and thank you for the intro to this intriguing book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Well, The Morning Mind is truly thought-provoking. Also, two doctors on one book? I already feel like am being obliged to read this one - courtesy of your insightful and excellent review.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Interesting. I recently read a parenting book where the authors describe the brain in the same way. Thanks for the review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

That's a book for me. I'm a self-procrastinator and so far nothing really worked to motivate me out of it. Although I'm not a morning person so I'm not sure how I could become one. I guess only one way to find out.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I love the concept of the Lizard vs the Wizard. 😁 Definitely going to look into this one and see if I can train my lizard...! Great review.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”