Official Review: The Gift of Finding God's Love:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: The Gift of Finding God's Love:

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gift of Finding God's Love:" by Teniecka Drake.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The cover page captured my attention. It depicts a lone woman walking in a forest as she prayerfully reads a holy book. The Gift of Finding God’s Love is the spiritual memoir of Teniecka Drake. Her story is full of joy that comes after turning from victim to victor. As a married woman who has four beautiful children, she no longer lives with her husband. She decided to go back to her parents after ten years of emotional, verbal, mental, physical, spiritual, and digital abuse.

“It does not matter if you are a man or a woman. The bottom line is, nobody deserves to be hurt,” notes the author. She advises victims of domestic violence to overcome the shame and inform people they trust. What could have compelled her to stay with her spouse, despite so many years of suffering? It was because marriage is a covenant, and she did not wish to break it. Drake desired her children to live with both parents. Their Dad promised every day that he would change, but he never did. She kept hoping until one day she was told, “He has been showing you his true colors. What are you, color-blind?” The wife and mother could not live in denial any more.

In less than 50 pages, the book includes poems that are heart-wrenching. They express domestic violence in its reality through poignant language. Nevertheless, the story also reveals how the survivor has been touched by God’s unconditional love and support from her parents as well as her church. This is what I most liked. One who leans on God is never alone. Drake desires to share the lessons she has learned from her personal experiences. She lists the signs that cannot be ignored in married life and urges women to trust in their gut feeling. The writer also mentions the dos and don’ts in such situations. All this is intermingled with the best selection of biblical quotations.

Since it is the survivor’s first book, it contains grammatical and formatting errors. Readers do not have to agree with all her views, but there’s a lot to make them reflect. I have worked with women’s organizations and counseled victims of domestic violence. Women are known to endure in silence, but there comes a time when enough is enough. God cannot see her suffering anymore, even if she must separate from her spouse for a meaningful and happy future for herself and her children. Fewer men are victims of spousal abuse.

I am pleased to award this guidebook 3 out of 4 stars. If it had been professionally edited and formatted, I would have rated it 4 stars. I wholeheartedly recommend The Gift of Finding God’s Love for married adults. It is not meant for children. Parents of young couples should read this memoir. Pastors in family ministry will also gain something from Drake’s experiences.

The Gift of Finding God's Love:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how you always explain what led you to choose a book.

On the book, the author is completely correct in her utterance that gender should not be used as a reason to justify hurting others, or being hurt. I love that the book is a story of struggle and strength in the face of suffering, present in many (especially women), but not adequately applauded, or expounded. Thank you for pointing this out.
Renu G wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 06:14 “He has been showing you his true colors. What are you, color-blind?”
This is pretty sad, but it made me laugh nonetheless. Thank you for the beautiful review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Thanks for reading the review and sharing your reaction!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm so sorry for all the author suffered. I can't imagine suffering from so much abuse. I am glad that she was finally able to get away. I hope this book helps others going through a similar situation. Thanks for telling us about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

I like the statement, "one who leans on God is never alone ". This book is very encouraging and is like a wake up call to many in abusive relationships. Thanks for the good review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad the author had parents and a church that she could turn to for help. It is so hard to get out of that situation and having someone you can depend on makes it easier. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”